• I'm running the following script:

-- SQL Server 2005

DECLARE @vUnused_Index_Uptime_Threshold AS INT

DECLARE @vOnline_Since AS NVARCHAR (19)

DECLARE @vUptime_Days AS INT

DECLARE @vDate_24_Hours_Ago AS DATETIME

DECLARE @vDate_Now AS DATETIME

DECLARE @vSubject AS NVARCHAR (255)

DECLARE @vFixed_Drives_Free_Space_Table AS TABLE (drive_letter VARCHAR (5), free_space_mb BIGINT)

DECLARE @vDatabase_Name AS NVARCHAR (500)

DECLARE @vXML_String AS NVARCHAR (MAX)

DECLARE @vBody AS NVARCHAR (MAX)

DECLARE @vSQL_String AS NVARCHAR (MAX)

INSERT INTO OPENROWSET('Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0',

'Excel 8.0;Database=C:\testing.xls;',

'SELECT netbios_name, server_name, edition, version, level, online_since, uptime_days, reads, writes FROM [Sheet1$]')

SELECT

SERVERPROPERTY ('ComputerNamePhysicalNetBIOS') AS netbios_name

,@@SERVERNAME AS server_name

,REPLACE (CONVERT (NVARCHAR (128), SERVERPROPERTY ('Edition')),' Edition','') AS edition

,SERVERPROPERTY ('ProductVersion') AS version

,SERVERPROPERTY ('ProductLevel') AS [level]

,@vOnline_Since AS online_since

,REVERSE (SUBSTRING (REVERSE (CONVERT (VARCHAR (15), CONVERT (MONEY, @vUptime_Days), 1)), 4, 15)) AS uptime_days

,REVERSE (SUBSTRING (REVERSE (CONVERT (VARCHAR (15), CONVERT (MONEY, @@TOTAL_READ), 1)), 4, 15)) AS reads

,REVERSE (SUBSTRING (REVERSE (CONVERT (VARCHAR (15), CONVERT (MONEY, @@TOTAL_WRITE), 1)), 4, 15)) AS writes

and getting the following error:

OLE DB provider "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0" for linked server "(null)" returned message "The LEVEL clause includes a reserved word or argument that is misspelled or missing, or the punctuation is incorrect.".

Msg 7321, Level 16, State 2, Line 18

An error occurred while preparing the query "SELECT netbios_name, server_name, edition, version, level, online_since, uptime_days, reads, writes FROM [Sheet1$]" for execution against OLE DB provider "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0" for linked server "(null)".

if I change it to Excel 2003 I get the following error:

OLE DB provider "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0" for linked server "(null)" returned message "Could not find installable ISAM.".

Msg 7303, Level 16, State 1, Line 18

Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0" for linked server "(null)".

• Ok, a couple things:

Why would you not use a SSIS package, to run the query, and then pump the data out to any file type that you like?

second:

Why are you using NVARCHAR(MAX) data type? What in the world are you storing? That should hold about a million copies of the encyclopedia. Use the correct data types.

Then if you do get this to work correctly, how do you plan on firing it off? I would suggest that you use a SSIS package and then create a SQL job to schedule it to fire off when you need it. You can even create a web page to fire off the SQL job.

Andrew SQLDBA

• Thank you Andrew;

I am not a developer and I am new. I don't understand the best ways of doing things yet. I am doing this on my own workstation for right now just trying to learn. I will eventually try this in SSIS as well but for now I'm just really learning how to code in T-SQL (unfortunately on my own) and am attempting to try and accomplish tasks in different ways.

BTW I also have SQL 2000 installed on my workstation and attempted to accomplish this in a DTS package but still ran into problems when it came to sending it to an Excel spreadsheet.

Except for the Excel part I did first make this all work in Query Analyser (getting rid of MAX and modifying other parts of the code for SQL 2000) in both versions of SQL and got the results I wanted from the query.

i do appreciate any help I can get understanding what I don't know.

• You might want to check out this link[/url]

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• OK, you posted this into a SQL 2005 area, so I assumed this was for SQL 2005

I created a simple DTS package in about 2 minutes by using the wizard, and saving the package. I then opened the packaged and placed a different query into query editor. I actually created a stored procedure and used that. I was able to pump all the data out for an excel format, from one table.

I would suggest that.

Andrew SQLDBA

• I would do what Andrew has done. That's worked well for me.

One thing to be aware of is that you want the create table statements in the DTS (along with a DROP) if you are running this over and over. That way you won't be appending to your XLS, which isn't what most people want.

• You guys are great! I'm looking over the article that Wayne suggested right now and I will try the other method as well.

Thank you everyone 🙂

• Hi,

Small clarifications please...

Using DTS package I am able to export data to text file even even destination file does not exists (Package itself creating at destination point).. I have problem while exporting to Excel.. It is not creating excel file.

Is there any mistake doing from my end...

🙂

• Yes, you need to select "Excel File" when you select the Destination. You must be selecting "Flat File" or something. There is a long list of different connectors

Andrew SQLDBA

• I have done it fir the first time successfuly. The I deleted the file which I generated previously and tried It is giving error. Again I need to create table in 'Transform Task Properties> Destination '

Attaching Error screen shot

Note: As you said.. I have selected Microsoft Excel 97-2000 as destination

🙂

• How are you receiving a JET error when you are using an OLEDB Connection?

Simply just delete the package and start over.

This stuff is really simple.

Right click on the table and select "All Tasks" --> "Export Data" And allow the wizard to create a new package for you. This really takes all of two minutes to perform.

Andrew SQLDBA

• The first time you ran through this, it usually asks you to create a table. It does that, but to repeat it, you'd need that table in the sheet or you need a T-SQL task to run the CREATE table script against the Excel file.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply