Getting SSIS to fail gracefully

• Hi all, i have a SSIS package (2008) that i want to schedule to run every 15 mins to move data from staging to live. The job calls a SP (execute sql task). The SP returns the ID of a dataset that needs to be imported into live, assigns it to a variable and passes it to a data flow task.

The problem is if there is no data to be imported - the SP returns NULL and the job fails, writing a line into the SQL logs. I cant use "row count" as i need to success/fail at the control flow , not data flow level

I would like it to do nothing if the SP returns NULL so how do i stop it failing?

cheers

• Use an Execute SQL task (select count(*) from ...) to assign the count to a package variable (which you will have to create) at control flow level and then use precedence constraints to control whether your DF is called or not.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• thanks for the pointer but cant do a "select count(*) from..." as the data comes from a SP - but you got me thinking

I changed the SP to have 2 parts seperated by a If statament - either a "select count(*) form tablex..." or a "Select data....from tablex..." A flag on the SP eg "exec mysp 0" runs the count or the data returning either a count or the data

I then put a new step at the beginning, to call the count, puts it into a variable, i then put a expression in the flow (@[User::count] != 0) to call the data flow step or (@[User::count] == 0) to do nothing

All green - Job done!:-)

• Sounds like you got it working well - good stuff:cool:

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply