Getting Fired

• jjelinek - Wednesday, December 20, 2017 10:58 AM

Eric M Russell - Wednesday, December 20, 2017 9:25 AM

jjelinek - Wednesday, December 20, 2017 9:21 AM

I worked for Sports Authority corporate headquarters -- on average, they fired someone in IT about once a quarter.  As you can imagine this cultivated a culture of fear.   Many times we would see a person at their job on a Friday but their cube or office would be completely vacant on the following Monday; and no one below a manager level was given a reason for the person's departure.   This went on for years.  I witnessed a lot of lowered productivity because everyone spent a lot of time 'covering their butts'.  But there is some good news (sort of) -- this particular problem took care of itself.

The problem finally took care of itself how; certain members of executive management with questionable approaches to HR were fired due to a merger or intervention by the board of directors? 🙂

The problem resolved itself by Sports Authority going out-of-business due to bankruptcy.
    They went out-of-business primarily because of bad management.
    It was bad management that led to so many firings.
    So many firings led to the culture of fear.
    The culture of fear resulted in decreased producitivity, no innovation and no risk taking.
    No innovation or risk taking resulted in stagnation - thus no adapting to change.
    If you don't adapt to change then you go out-of-business.

Bankruptcy due to ineffective hiring / firing practices? Generally speaking, the corporation's board of directors aren't supposed to get involved in daily operations, but they should have stepped in and intervened before it got out of hand. Reading the the financial reports is important, but keeping your ear to ground and listening for potential HR or other operational problems is obviously important too.  

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• jjelinek - Wednesday, December 20, 2017 10:58 AM

I worked for Sports Authority corporate headquarters -- on average, they fired someone in IT about once a quarter.  As you can imagine this cultivated a culture of fear.   Many times we would see a person at their job on a Friday but their cube or office would be completely vacant on the following Monday; and no one below a manager level was given a reason for the person's departure.   This went on for years.  I witnessed a lot of lowered productivity because everyone spent a lot of time 'covering their butts'.  But there is some good news (sort of) -- this particular problem took care of itself.

The problem finally took care of itself how; certain members of executive management with questionable approaches to HR were fired due to a merger or intervention by the board of directors? 🙂

The problem resolved itself by Sports Authority going out-of-business due to bankruptcy.
    The culture of fear resulted in decreased producitivity, no innovation and no risk taking.
    No innovation or risk taking resulted in stagnation - thus no adapting to change.

So that means you were working in the Denver area.  Are you still in the area?  Just curious.

• What I hate is when someone needs to be fired and the company won't let them go.  A while back I worked for a company that was 24/7 in the datacenter and we usually were double threaded with an over lap during the overnight 8pm till 8am. We had one guy who always showed up late with ridicules excuse (he even recycled them) then he would either spend his time on the phone or sleep during his shift. The guys even video taped him sleeping. He filed false work reports & time sheets. Yet the company would not let him go; this destroyed any and all team moral and several really good people got fed up and quit.
    So I am saying there is a third reason -  If the guy is "pissing off" your good employees and destroying team moral; Cut his ass loose.

• Lynn Pettis - Wednesday, December 20, 2017 2:18 PM

jjelinek - Wednesday, December 20, 2017 10:58 AM

So that means you were working in the Denver area.  Are you still in the area?  Just curious.

I am still in Denver; now working closer to home with virtually all the same benefits; I'm very satisfied with where I'm at.
    Took me 8 days to find another DBA job - I suppose I had a little luck, but there are lots of opportunities these days.

• jjelinek - Wednesday, December 20, 2017 4:06 PM

I am still in Denver; now working closer to home with virtually all the same benefits; I'm very satisfied with where I'm at.
    Took me 8 days to find another DBA job - I suppose I had a little luck, but there are lots of opportunities these days.

Congrats and glad you found something.

Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 49 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply