getting errors continuosly in the error log

• Hello,

we are using sql server 2005 EE x64 on windows 2003 EE x64. Sharepoint databases are stired in sql server. I did not do any backups But Iam getting back failed errors continuosly as below:

Error: 18204, Severity: 16, State: 1.

2009-01-21 13:54:59.04 spid79 BackupDiskFile::CreateMedia: Backup device '\\abc\Sharepointbackup\spbr0000\00000023.bak' failed to create. Operating system error 5(Access is denied.).

2009-01-21 13:54:59.12 Backup Error: 3041, Severity: 16, State: 1.

2009-01-21 13:54:59.12 Backup BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE SharePoint_Config. Check the backup application log for detailed messages.

2009-01-21 13:55:02.83 spid91 Error: 18204, Severity: 16, State: 1.

2009-01-21 13:55:02.83 spid91 BackupDiskFile::CreateMedia: Backup device '\\abc\Sharepointbackup\spbr0000\00000025.bak' failed to create. Operating system error 5(Access is denied.).

2009-01-21 13:55:02.83 Backup Error: 3041, Severity: 16, State: 1.

BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE WSS_Content_backuprestore. Check the backup application log for detailed messages.

2009-01-21 13:55:08.21 spid91 Error: 18204, Severity: 16, State: 1.

2009-01-21 13:55:08.21 spid91 BackupDiskFile::CreateMedia: Backup device '\\abc\Sharepointbackup\spbr0000\00000027.bak' failed to create. Operating system error 5(Access is denied.).

2009-01-21 13:55:08.21 Backup Error: 3041, Severity: 16, State: 1.

2009-01-21 13:55:08.21 Backup BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE WSS_Content_eb1a5e131cad4ba496008e4a774c5589. Check the backup application log for detailed messages.

2009-01-21 13:55:11.55 spid91 Error: 18204, Severity: 16, State: 1.

plz advice me

• Does the SQLAGENT Service account have WRITE permission on that share?

• This is not a complete and direct answer to your question but you could start by making sure that the user who owns the SQL Server service has full access to the directories that are listed in the error message.

Carlos.

Regards,

Carlos

• Thank you,

I found that the sharepoint admin from his system, he is trying to take the backups in central administration. At that we getting these errors in sql server side as as sharepont side.

so what will be the solution

• Suggest to the sharepoint admin that it would be better to take backups to the local disk and later move them to a network share?

If that's not an option, ensure that the account that's doing the backups (not sure if it's SQL agent or Sharepoint) has write permissions on that share.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I'm getting the same error message: on a SQL2008 Sharepoint Cluster.

The backup job works fine when it's run manually, and, since the error is sporadic, I'm sure that the account has access to the network share.

The odd thing is that I have several transaction log backup jobs set to run at the same time. Invariably, half will run successfully, half will fail. They're going to the same server, same root folder (they've got different folders for each database), using the same user account. It's not always the same jobs failing.

Highly annoying.

• Try backing up to the local disk and then copying the files over the network after. It only takes a small network glitch for the backup to fail.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Hi Gail,

I have a question here. In our company, Share Point admin is taking backups using Share point tools and I'm seeing in the error log on sql server that the share point databases are backed up at the same time.

I'm also taking backups from scheduled backup jobs in SQLAgent. I did not understand why the databases are backing up while share point admin taking backups of sites from front end?

Do I need to ask him to stop taking backups from front end? how this works actually?

• You're gonna have to ask Sharepoint people that. I have no idea what sharepoint does when it backs up.

Gail Shaw

• Hi DBA's, maintaing share point databases in SQL server 2005. Could you please answer my question regarding the backups considering Share point & SQL Server both involved?

• Might be worth asking on a Sharepoint forum, like this one - http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointadmin/threads

Gail Shaw

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply