Getting error Failed to open connection dialog when trying to open SSMS 18

• I've got SSMS 18.3 installed on my laptop. When I open it, I'm getting an odd error I've never seen before:

Failed to open connection dialog

Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlStudio)

I cannot get past this, and I don't know how to fix it. How do I fix this problem, please?

Rod

• If that error pops up when opening SSMS, I would try doing an uninstall and reinstall.  I would also check for free disk space and if you are on a fully patched Windows 10/11 computer.

Or probably a dumb question but have you tried turning it off and on again?  I've seen weird errors like that go away by rebooting.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Good question, Brian. Yes, I've tried turning off my laptop, then back on again. Unfortunately, it didn't work. 🙁

I've got SSMS 17 and 18 installed. Guess I'll go through the process of uninstalling both, then installing 18 again. Since I'm going to be doing this I'm wondering if I should also update SQL? At the moment I'm at SQL 2017. I could go to SQL 2019 while I'm at it.

Rod

• One thing to keep in mind is if you are using SSIS, you will want the SSMS version that matches the SSIS database version.  For example, if you have SSIS running on a 2012 SQL instance, you will want SSMS 2012.

This becomes a huge pain in the butt when you are working with multiple versions of SSMS and you might not be able to remove any of them.  The nice thing is that older versions of SSMS work with newer versions of SQL Server (not certain on SSIS though... never tested that... I tend to do a 1:1 version match to avoid errors).

For the most part, I try to have my SSMS version match my SQL version.  I know it is not a hard requirement for anything, but I've seen odd issues when I don't have them matching up nicely.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• I had a similar situation. Reinstallation helped me. Thank you

software developer (source) WorkTime

• If you run SQL Server Management Studio 18, but it doesn't open and doesn't give you any error message, it might look like a tough problem to solve. One option is to use Repair located in Programs and Features, but if that doesn't work, we can also use the ssms.exe log option.

WalgreensListens Survey

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by  Dominique.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply