Getting Count of currently executing recordset?

• I have a query that needs to return something like:

Rank In this Record Set / Record Count

as one of the fields

The problem is that without putting the data into a table variable and doing an update later or doing a select count (involving some expensive joins) I obviously don't know what the record count is.

I then considered that something along the lines of

RANK() OVER (ORDER BY IndicatorValue DESC) + RANK() OVER (ORDER BY IndicatorValue ASC)

should do it. Though I may need to alter it slightly to avoid ties.

But is there any SQL 2005 function that I'm missing that would give me this functionality with only 1 pass through the data?

• OK:

I have a working model using something like

((ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY UniqueKeyCombination ASC)) + (ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY UniqueKeyCombination  DESC) )) - 1)

But clearly behind the scenes it is doing far too much work and must actually have the row count to work out one of the above.

Does SQL expose this information to us in any way?

• Here is an article that discusses how to eliminate a cursor.  You could follow this model to get your recordcount. 

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/kAli/eliminatingcursors.asp

There always seems to be another way.

Rich

• I'm not using a cursor!

I'm trying to get a sort of PercentRank functionality (though not exactly that)

in one select statement in SQL2005

• My point with my last post was not about using a cursor, it was about the methadology used in the second half of the referenced article.  by following the logic laid out here, you can calculate where you are in teh recordset during the WHILE...LOOP.  That should allow you to determing the PERCENT_RANK or whatever you need from the entire recordcount.

--now populate this table with the required item category values

INSERT INTO @item_table

SELECT  -- Same SELECT statement as that for the CURSOR

it.item_category_id

,ord.order_id

FROM dbo.item_categories it

INNER JOIN dbo.orders ord

ON ord.item_category_id = it.item_category_id

WHERE ord.order_date >= '1-sep-05'

and it.isSuspended != 1                      

DECLARE @item_category_counter INT

DECLARE @loop_counter INT

SET @loop_counter = ISNULL(SELECT COUNT(*) FROM @item_table),0) -- Set the @loop_counter to the total number of rows in the

-- memory table

SET @item_category_counter = 1

WHILE @loop_counter > 0 AND @item_category_counter <= @loop_counter

BEGIN

SELECT @item_category_id = item_category_id

,@order_id = order_id

FROM @item_table

WHERE primary_key = @item_category_counter

--Now pass the item-category_id and order_id to the OUTPUT stored procedure

EXEC dbo.usp_generate_purchase_order @item_category_id, @order_id, @purchase_order_id OUTPUT

/*

Call other code here to process your pruchase order for this item

*/

SET @item_category_counter = @item_category_counter + 1

END

Rich

• Thanks for your responses however I'm not using a loop either!

I am returning a ranked set of values and need to calculate the value of (Rank - 1)/RecordCount.

I have achieved this straight from the SELECT with the TSQL I posted above but I realise that this way of getting the RecordCount must cause the database engine unnecessary work.

Therefore I was asking if there was a way I could just access the Record Count (as the database engine must know this to perform it's ranking calculations)

• Use the  "INTO #tmpTable" statement like:

DECLARE @RecordSetCount int,

@StartRow  int,

@MaxRows int,

@OrderBy varchar(50) = 'Column1'

SELECT

ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY @OrderBy) AS RowNumber,

Column1,

Column2

--notice INTO HERE!

INTO #tmpTable

FROM myTabels

WHERE Stuff = Stuff;

With a stored proc, you can return multiple recordsets, with the first recordset returning your total count and the second returning the results:

recordset #1 with our total record count

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM #tmpTable

recordset #2 with our resultset

SELECT * from #tmpTable WHERE (RowNumber >= @StartRow AND RowNumber < (@StartRow + @MaxRows));

OR

you could set it to our @RecordSetCount  variable and add it directly to the resultset like:

SET @RecordSetCount  = (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM #tmpTable);

SELECT @RecordSetCount AS MyTotalRecords, * from #tmpTable WHERE (RowNumber >= @StartRow AND RowNumber < (@StartRow + @MaxRows));

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply