CREATE FUNCTION GetTimeLeft

(

@EndTime datetime

)

RETURNS datetime

AS

BEGIN

DECLARE @Result datetime

SELECT @Result =  datediff(dd, @EndTime,getdate())

RETURN @result

END

in this i used a getdate(), and i m shocked when

its give error " Invalid use of getdate within a function" , i also try this with dbo.getdate() but nothing happens.

Tell me y its not allowing to write getdate() in the functions??

as we used sme other functions in the function as datediff etc.. . plz rely me y its not working? or how can i achieved this

if i used this in the function, not in the SP.

• Someone circumvented this in a recent post. The trick was to create a view dbo.VW_NOW (name of choice)with as definition: select getdate() as today

From the function use select today from dbo.VW_NOW instead of getdate().

• You can't use non-deterministic functions within a user-defined function. That include rand(), newid() and getdate() amoung others

What you can do is write a more generic function that takes 2 params, and pass getdate as the second.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Another solution is to not use the function at all.  I know they are usefull for code reuse but in this case, the code is quite easy to remember.  Also you get a small performance hit by using a function that you would not get by using straight sql in the query.

• As described in the 3 posting, non-deterministic functions are not allowed in UDFs under SQL Server 2000. Microsoft have obviously had a change of heart, because under SQL Server 2005, some non-deterministic functions (including GetDate()) are now allowed.

I would use the method described in posting (2) to create you own function and name it similar to GetDate (ie. fn_getdate()).

That way, when you upgrade to SQL Server 2005, you can replace all occurrences of your function with GetDate and all will be well.

• http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=8&messageid=348736#bm348757

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply