Get parameters of the report using query

• Hi All,

Is it possible to get the parameters of the report using sql query because i need the parameter name to pass the values to the report using url.

Please help me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please feel free to let me know if you are not clear or I’ve misunderstood anything.

Thanks,
    Arunkumar S P

• Arunkumar S P (4/21/2009)

Hi All,

Is it possible to get the parameters of the report using sql query because i need the parameter name to pass the values to the report using url.

Please help me.

You want to query ReportServer database. Bear in mind this DB is not meant to be queried too much, and of course should not be changed.

But I guess for the purpose of getting some parameters and report properties you can do it.

Sorry mate, I cannot tell you what table/column -- brows it for yourself, it should be fairly straightforward

M.Sc.IT, M.B.A, MCTS BI 2008, MCITP BI 2008, MCTS SQL Dev, CSM, CDVDM

• There are a number of ways this can be accomplished. One is to query the reportserver database directly. The Catalog table can help, but basically you need to parse out the XML and such which is somewhat of a pain and BTW isn't supported by MS and they state they may change that database at any time with service packs hotfixes etc...

a Better way if you are passing things via the URL, you are probably creating some sort of custom front end to gather your parameters and then pass them to the report...

Use the GetReportPArameters method of the reportingservice2005 webservice. HEre's a link to the 2005 MSDN documentation...

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Thanks Luke.

The link was really helpful for me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please feel free to let me know if you are not clear or I’ve misunderstood anything.

Thanks,
    Arunkumar S P

• webservice is another way. but this is not "using sql query" though.

M.Sc.IT, M.B.A, MCTS BI 2008, MCITP BI 2008, MCTS SQL Dev, CSM, CDVDM

• Yes VALEK. But we can't access through SQL query right.

Thanks,
    Arunkumar S P

• You can access it via a SQL query, but as I stated above, but there is the possibility of issues like MS changing that database with a SP or hotfix, which is why it's an un-supported way of getting to the data. Plus you need to parse the XML stored in the catalog table to come up with the appropriate parameters for your selected report.

If you're already going through the trouble of creating some sort of custom front end and have development resources who are familiar with accessing the information via webservices and such, it's better to go the supported route.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Thanks Luke. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Thanks,
    Arunkumar S P

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply