General Network Error

• Hi All,

Frequently Sql-server is throwing this error to each network clients:

"General Network Error. Check your network documentation. ConnectionRead (recv())." Although the server is online in network, even user can access MAP drive on it. But When I restart SQL Server service it works fine. Any solution?

Regards, GB

• From my experience this is typically caused by network communication problems between the clients and the databaseserver. Try to see if the server has a lot of bad packets and try to ping the dbserver f.ex.50 times to see if there are any loss of ICMP-packets. You may have something between causing the problems (switches, hubs, routers etc.), but I would normally try to start as close to the dbserver as possible and then widen the search. It could boil down to a simple matter of a bad NIC-driver, bad port on the switch, bad network cable (!) or something like this.

It could also have to do with your network configuration and maybe you should take a look into Server Network utility to verify the current settings (protocols, port etc.). AND You should of cource verify that You don't have any firewalls blocking the necessary SQL-server return traffic - it seems like Your clients have problems recieving reply packages from SQL Server.

\hpl

• I've also this message when a part of the database (like an index) became corrupt.

• I also get this message when trying to connect to my server via Query Analyzer.  I drop about every 5 minutes.  When you stated 'try to ping the dbserver f.ex.', what is 'f.ex'?

Kindest Regards,

CRC

• Hi All,

I can understand this problem may belongs to some network devices. But why every thing goes fine when I restart the SQL Server Service only (NOT THE SERVER ITSELF)? Furthermore, this error also appears when connecting locally, there is no problem with server resources. Any help please?

Regards, --GB

• try to increase the network package size (from Query analyzer : tools options connections). in our situation it helped...

?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply