Geeky Entertainment

• I would like to see a TV series based on the original 'Conan the Barbarian' short stories written by Robert E. Howard. It could be done in the same style as STARZ Channel's 'Spartacus', which I also thought was well done and entertaining.

BTW: You can find most of these stories in public domain on Project Gutenberg.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/36031

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Jennifer Levy (3/5/2014)

And (I know there has been talk about this for years, but...) they REALLY need to do Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. But only if they're going to do it WELL.

Don't know if you're UK based or not, but Sky have done some Pratchett adaptations. Going Postal was my favourite.

Also, The Belgariad seems quite a popular choice here so I don't know if this will upset some people... it would have to be done as a film suitable for for young teenagers as that is the target audience for the books.

• chris.puncher (3/7/2014)it would have to be done as a film suitable for for young teenagers as that is the target audience for the books.

Citation needed? I don't recall those books being aimed at teenagers, any more than LOTR was. (Oh, and I think it might need more than one film to fit in five chunky books' worth of plotline... :-)).

• I couldn't see it getting a classification suitable or young teens without some major changes to the backstory - the frequent violence and murder references would need toned down significantly

• I first read it when I was about 12 and it didn't seem that bad (I'm a bit older now:Whistling:) - maybe I need to blow the dust off the covers ...

• chris.puncher (3/7/2014)

Jennifer Levy (3/5/2014)

And (I know there has been talk about this for years, but...) they REALLY need to do Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. But only if they're going to do it WELL.

Don't know if you're UK based or not, but Sky have done some Pratchett adaptations. Going Postal was my favourite.

Also, The Belgariad seems quite a popular choice here so I don't know if this will upset some people... it would have to be done as a film suitable for for young teenagers as that is the target audience for the books.

I think that the Disc World novels lose too much in any unwritten form. Some of the descriptions make it what it is.

Good Omens, on the other hand, is a great shout.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• I think that the Disc World novels lose too much in any unwritten form. Some of the descriptions make it what it is.

TV, I'd agree; however I've just been listening to Night Watch on BBC Radio 4 Extra (still available on iPlayer!), and they've made a pretty good go of it. Obviously it doesn't get all the flavour as you say, but at least with radio you get to fill in the gaps with your imagination.

• Andrew Watson-478275 (3/7/2014)

I think that the Disc World novels lose too much in any unwritten form. Some of the descriptions make it what it is.

TV, I'd agree; however I've just been listening to Night Watch on BBC Radio 4 Extra (still available on iPlayer!), and they've made a pretty good go of it. Obviously it doesn't get all the flavour as you say, but at least with radio you get to fill in the gaps with your imagination.

They do lose a lot I agree - some of the play on words, especially in the earlier books are outstanding. I also like the weird references, many of which I'm not sure could make in translation to another language. I thought this the other day when the Radio 2 played "There's a guy works down the chip shop swears he's Elvis" by Kirsty McColl.

• Iain M. Banks's Culture books, as previously noted.

Aaronovitch's 'Rivers of London' series would lend itself to the TV very well.

A good version of The Day of the Triffids.

• marlon.seton (4/1/2014)

A good version of The Day of the Triffids.

I haven't seen a better version than the Beeb's (that's a colloquialism for the BBC to you non-Brits) version from the 80s.

Edit: Corrected truncation of last sentence posted via mobile.

Gaz

• Gary Varga (4/1/2014)

I haven't seen a better version than the Beeb's (that's a colloquialism for the BBC to you non-Brits) version from the 80s.

I found the original B/W version much closer to Wyndham's book and the later serialisation should have been thrown to the plants.

• crmitchell (4/1/2014)

Gary Varga (4/1/2014)

I found the original B/W version much closer to Wyndham's book and the later serialisation should have been thrown to the plants.

I am presuming that we agree not to mention Howard Keel 😉

Gaz

• Just read "The Martian" by Andy Weir. Highly recommended

Viewing 13 posts - 91 through 102 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply