Future support of ADPs in Office 12

• There are a lot of ramblings about whether Access 2003 ADPs will connect to SQL Server 2005 and fears that it will not be available as a download.

I am most concerned with the future of my Access ADP applications as we move forward. We all end up porting our Access apps over time to future versions of Access.

We have developed some very large ADP using SQLServer that supports a huge business. I want to know the following:

1. Will Access ADPs be available in Office 12's implementation of Access?

2. Will the previous versions of Access applications be able to be upgraded to this? With everything moving to .NET this could be quite tricky...

3. Will they connect to SQL Server 2005? (This one I would assume YES).

4. If ADPs are not supported, what tools might be available to port them to a replacement environment.

We use Microsoft products because they are a large company that will not throw away our investment in software development. It is all very well that they might support the existing products until 2012, but I find it hard to believe our IT people will allow us to continue to run SQLServer 2000 in 2 years time let alone longer. Wasn't the message about using SQLServer with ADPs about providing the scalability of SQLServer?

I hope someone from Microsoft can answer these questions clearly rather than the muddied statements I have seen that discourage developing new ADPs.

John.

• I've been a proponent of using ADP's for Access applications involving a SQL Server database, and would be interested in some links to the anti-ADP "rumblings" you mention, since I haven't seen them.  On the other hand, ADP's do currently have some limitations, so as long as there was a way to connect pretty seamlessly to SQL Server that removed those limitations, that might be a good thing.  It doesn't really matter which extension the file has (.mdb or .adp), but what the functionality available is and what effort may be required to convert existing apps.

Dick

• John,

Check out this blog. http://blogs.msdn.com/access/ Read the threads in October and November and you'll find the discussion interesting and hopeful.

I had/have a bit of concern over Microsoft's committment to the ADP because it appears they are more interested in tying Access in with SharePoint data. At least in version 12 they will have the same, if not a little better, integration for the ADP with SQL.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply