Full Text Search Join

• I have create a full text index on a table Addresses on the column Address1. I have created a second table SearchWords with the field Words. The Words column contains the words I want to search for in the Addresses column. I tried something like this below but it does not work. Are there any suggestion?

Thanks!

SELECT Address_1

FROM Addresses ad

JOIN SearchWords sw ON CONTAINS(ad.Address_1, sw.Words))

• what do u mean by doesnt work. does it error? Or just doesnt return results. Is this full text index newly created?

• the reason i ask because the full text index probably just hasnt populated. their tricky when u set them up sometimes. If it hasnt populated then it wont return anything

• It returns incorrect syntax. I believe it is populated because the following works fine.

SELECT Address_1

FROM Addresses ad

WHERE CONTAINS(ad.Address_1, 'bike')

• i see what ur doing wrong. you can join on that. it has to be something like this however i need the talbes columns to give a good solution

SELECT Address_1

FROM Addresses ad

JOIN SearchWords sw

ON --u need to join on something valid here

where CONTAINS(ad.Address_1, sw.Words))

How many records are in the search words table and what are the columns in both tables?

• sorry i meant u CAN'T join on that

• For the sake of this example Addresses has 1 column, Address1, and SearchWords has 1 column, Words. I want to use the Words column to to do a full text search in the Address1 column instead of querying each word individually.

• i'm not accustom to joining tables w/o something in both tables having something related.

you may have to just loop. Also i would suggest sending your table structures and some sample inserts. trust me this would have been answered days ago. Most of these guys wont even look at it if there isnt enough info in there.

• Thanks for the suggestion. I solved it by using a table valued function and a cross apply with table that had the values I wanted searched.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply