Full-text indexing

• Hi,

I've built a search functionality for a web application on a table that stores articles which have the standard: title, summary and body fields. The table will probably grow to about 100,000 rows, although there is a possibility that it might grow to many times that size. The search currently only scans the title field and gets the results from a stored procedure that uses the "LIKE '%something%'" clause.

Since then I have become aware fo the full-text searching features on SQl server. I was hoping to get advice from someone who has worked with this before. Is full-text indexing the way to go? I am particularly concerned with performance as the table grows.

Many thanks!

Olja

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Hi there

100k rows is nothing, I indexed my 4 mill row table without too much trouble, mind you indexes do take a while to build and there are some support docs out where unique counts of keywords hit in the millions. Anyhow, whack a timestamp on your table and consider using the auto-update/background refresh options of FTI, you will see around a 20sec lag between the row inserted and FTI picking it up, something to consider carefully when going down this path. Are you indexing multiple columns? also, dont use a neutral work breaker if you can help it as inflectional statements cant be used.

I have an article coming on the 12/11 re FTI and a cool routine that alters your user input to make it more FTI "savvy"

Cheers

Ck

Chris Kempster

http://www.chriskempster.com

Author of "SQL Server 2k for the Oracle DBA"

Chris Kempster
    www.chriskempster.com
    Author of "SQL Server Backup, Recovery & Troubleshooting"
    Author of "SQL Server 2k for the Oracle DBA"

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply