Full Text Indexing

• I need to run some searches with a full text index but at present I am developing on a laptop with SQL 2000 and I have no access to the MS Search service.

My question is if I install SQL 2005 will I get the full text indexing that I need or does the full text indexing in SQL 2005 require a server to run on?

Secondly if I can upgrade to SQL 2005 and get FTI which version should I go for?

Many thanks for any help.

DP

• David Putman (9/28/2007)

I need to run some searches with a full text index but at present I am developing on a laptop with SQL 2000 and I have no access to the MS Search service.

My question is if I install SQL 2005 will I get the full text indexing that I need or does the full text indexing in SQL 2005 require a server to run on?

Secondly if I can upgrade to SQL 2005 and get FTI which version should I go for?

Many thanks for any help.

DP

Hi David,

under 2005 the Microsoft Search Engine has been replaced with "Microsoft Full-Text Engine for SQL Server", which is based on the Microsoft Search Engine, but is significantly improved. It no longer needs to run under the local admin context, and it is on a per instance basis. So 2005 will allow you to do the fulltext searches without as you say "require a server to run on". The only thing it needs is a service like the MSSQLServer for the SQL Server instance. Note that this service has to run under the same security account as the MSSQLServer service.

Regards,

Andras

Andras Belokosztolszki, MCPD, PhD
    GoldenGate Software

• Andras,

Many thanks for your guidance on that.

Regards

DP

• You do however need to install either developer or the full-blown express (advanced express) edition, either will install on a client o/s (e.g. XP), none of the other editions will install on a client o/s.

• Thank you for that - I didn't know that there was an Advanced Express version but I'll track it down.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply