Full Database ReOrg

• I'm a fairly new dba.

I have a vendor telling me they need to do a "Full" DB ReOrg before they do an upgrade.

I already have a maint job doing a db reorg (via the Maint Plan for Optimization).

I scripted out the job to see what it is doing. It hits every table in the database.

Wouldn't this be sufficient to run this job?

The vendor wants 16 hrs for this task. My job finishes in 3.5 hrs.

Am I missing something or are they just trying to milk me for some money?

Thanks for the second opinion.

• vendors do try to quote faily high amt of time required to perform a task. Show them actual duration of ur job and try to negotiate.

Pradeep Singh

• Thanks for your response, that is a good idea.

But do you think my ReOrg Maint Job would be sufficient?

If it is ReOrg'ing all the indexes in all the tables of the database...what more could they want?

thanks

• I suspect that your reorg is good enough, but you never know. I'd actually be looking to do this after an upgrade, since changes to the schema might move things around. They might be quoting a before and after as well.

• As a side bar, make sure you do a full blown backup of the data and the log file BEFORE you let the vendor anywhere near it. Backups before a vendor touching the data has saved my skin more than once.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply