From MS-SQL Query (without using xp_CmdShell & LINKED Server) how can we insert / update records from Local Excel file to a Remote MS-SQL Server database Table

• Dear All,

Hi! I am searching for a query based solution (without using xp_CmdShell & LINKED Server) to insert / update records from Local EXCEL file to Remote MS-SQL server table.

For example, we have an Excel file on our local system hard drive (C:\MyExcel.XLS) & in this Excel file we have a sheet named "TNR". On "TNR" sheet we have 8 rows with data in 2 columns.

Now We need to insert or update these 8 Records on REMOTE MS-SQL Server (i.e. on 84.84.84.1) "TEST" database "DatafromEXCEL" table without DTS, without xp_CmdShell & without LINKED Server).

If possible, kindly solve this issue.

• OPENROWSET command could do it, but for me that's just another flavor of a linked server; only difference is whether you devclare the server(that excel spreadsdheet) on the fly, or saved as a linked server.

probably a better way to do what you want, why do you have to update an exisitng file instead of creating a new one and sending someone a link to the new file?

SELECT * FROM OPENROWSET('MSDASQL',

'DRIVER=Microsoft Excel Driver (*.xls, *.xlsx, *.xlsm, *.xlsb);

UID=admin;

UserCommitSync=Yes;

Threads=3;

SafeTransactions=0;

ReadOnly=1;

PageTimeout=5;

MaxScanRows=8;

MaxBufferSize=2048;

FIL=excel 12.0;

DriverId=1046;

DefaultDir=C:\Data\BlockGroups_2010;

DBQ=C:\Data\BlockGroups_2010\AKblockgroup.xls',

'SELECT * FROM [AK$]')

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Dear Lowell,

Thanks for the reply.

But, in OpenRowset again without LINKED Server we can't to this process. I need Query based solution to perform this process without using XP_CMDSHELL & Without using LINKED Server.

• bharat sethi (7/29/2011)

Dear Lowell,

Thanks for the reply.

But, in OpenRowset again without LINKED Server we can't to this process. I need Query based solution to perform this process without using XP_CMDSHELL & Without using LINKED Server.

WHY?

Pretty much only 2 option left and 1 of them's real ugly... and the other one needs to work client side.

Option C would be to build and SSRS report, schedule it to run on a schedule and e-mail the results (or send the shared folder).

• i'd step completely outside of SQL server and write something in a programming language instead.

trying to do everything from within SQL is the old "Everything is a nail" tunnel vision. a different tool than the hammer in your hand might be a better solution.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Can you make that image a little larger. That text looks like TSQL but I'm not even sure... and yes I have good eye-sight!

• Ninja's_RGR'us (7/29/2011)

Can you make that image a little larger. That text looks like TSQL but I'm not even sure... and yes I have good eye-sight!

Tx.

• there you go!

Lowell

• Lowell (7/29/2011)

there you go!

re-tx πŸ˜€

• Lowell (7/29/2011)

i'd step completely outside of SQL server and write something in a programming language instead.

trying to do everything from within SQL is the old "Everything is a nail" tunnel vision. a different tool than the hammer in your hand might be a better solution.

+1MM

You made my morning Lowell πŸ˜›

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• opc.three (7/29/2011)

Lowell (7/29/2011)

i'd step completely outside of SQL server and write something in a programming language instead.

+1MM

You made my morning Lowell πŸ˜›

Morning?? It's almost time to go home!

No, IT IS time to go home.

BYE. πŸ˜›

• What time zone are you in? The lunch whistle just went off here (Denver, CO).

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• opc.three (7/29/2011)

What time zone are you in? The lunch whistle just went off here (Denver, CO).

MontrΓ©al (New-York).

• Cool, that must explain the French in the images of dialog boxes in your posts. I wish I was in NY right now...I am going to get a slice for lunch but there isn't anything close to NY pie around here πŸ™‚

Have a good weekend Ninja's!

--Plato

• opc.three (7/29/2011)

Cool, that must explain the French in the images of dialog boxes in your posts. I wish I was in NY right now...I am going to get a slice for lunch but there isn't anything close to NY pie around here πŸ™‚

Have a good weekend Ninja's!

Sure will be.

Only 5 hours from (hit the preview button middle-top right) > http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/shows/totem/tickets/montreal.aspx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply