Free space in Data file

• Dear friends,

Sp_spaceused reports the free space in the whole db including data and log space. is there a way to identify the space used in the data files alone(data,index,text,image etc)

thanks to all in advance

anil

• To see the log space usage you can use dbcc sqlperf (logspace)

sp_spaceused reports only the data and index space usage (in the reserved, data, index and unused columns) and this is what you want I guess.

Only database_size column combines the file size of the data AND the log files.

Bye

Gabor

Bye
    Gabor

• sp_helpfile will tell you the database file size which have been allocated to your database.

SELECT FILEPROPERTY('yourdatabaselogicalfilename', 'spaceused') will give you space used for your database files.

• Dear friends,

I am clear now. Thanks to all of U

Anil

• quote:

sp_helpfile will tell you the database file size which have been allocated to your database.

SELECT FILEPROPERTY('yourdatabaselogicalfilename', 'spaceused') will give you space used for your database files.

keep in mind this returns # pages ! (8k)

I run DBCC UPDATEUSAGE ('mydb') with count_rows before handeling space issues. This may take a while !

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• DBCC showfilestats (-1, -1) reports usage for all files in the current database (in extents).

• I use sp_helpdb because this gives you detail on data and log files as well as the overall database and you don't have to already be in the database you want to query like you do with sp_helpfile

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply