Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help

• I'm in Omaha.

And I'm just as guilty as anyone else with jumping in and posting an answer when there are some valid outstanding questions that the OP has not answered. I am trying to be a bit more 'thread conscious' though. If I see that someone has brought up valid concerns, I've been trying to hang back a bit. Sometimes it is as simple as just giving them an answer and the reply poster just does not understand the problem, but other times, I think the OP would be better served with getting some constructive help where they'll learn something over just getting some free code that works. I guess there's alot of gray here, but it is something that I've noticed.

John Rowan

======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• So far I have only done this once, but on one request for help after a few back and forth posts by several people (I seem to remember at least one other helping), the OP posted their solution. It had a where clause like this:

WHERE

YEAR(somedate) = @year -- (Not exactly as there was some other calculation).

I suggested:

WHERE

somedate >= dateadd(yy,@year - 1900, 0)

and somedate < dateadd(yy,(@year - 1900) + 1, 0)

The OP liked it, and I then asked if they knew why I had made the suggested change. They really didn't understand, just thought it was a different way. I then explained that their solution would not take advantage of an index on the date field where my suggested change would. With that, I hope that this individual walked away with a little more knowledge than they had before. From the OP's post afterward, I could tell they appreciated the learning approach. Perhaps this is something we should all try to adopt. I know for me it will take some effort to work toward doing things that way on a regular basis, but it is a worthwhile goal.

😎

• John,

Had a great time in North Platte, NE. Only problem I had was figuring out which way was north. No mountains to the west of me to help. Weather was good (tornados had hit east of there), and I had no problems running up and down the pitch (helps I came from 2000 feet higher!).

Our U14 team took 1st, and our U19 team repeated last year and took 2nd (didn't have a U14 team at the tournament last year).

😎

• Glad to hear. Yea, we had 2 to tornadoes touchdown within about 45 mintues of here last night. That's Nebraska for you, flat land w/ no directional landmarks, tornadoes, corn, and just as much crappy T-SQL that needs fixed as any other place :D.

John Rowan

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• Drifting away.

The subject is the Netiquette for the forum. Especially how to askii a proper question to get an ansii... (shamelessly stolen tag line).

The recent postings just add pages which are not helping newbies who need to know how to ask.

I suggest private messages or plain e-mail for personal correspondence.

Regards

• Sometimes going off topic is refreshing. I've also seen it spark other thoughts and ideas. Sort of like stepping back from the trees so you can see the forest.

😎

• Jeff I believe you are tired of getting words like 'Excellent', 'Awesome', 'Great', etc for your. So I will suggest you this time one thing. Start writing books (If not already started) on SQL Server. It will be wonderful help for many people.

I should get a compliment copy for giving the suggestion.....;)

• Anirban Paul (6/23/2008)

Jeff I believe you are tired of getting words like 'Excellent', 'Awesome', 'Great', etc for your. So I will suggest you this time one thing. Start writing books (If not already started) on SQL Server. It will be wonderful help for many people.

I should get a compliment copy for giving the suggestion.....;)

Thanks much, Anirban. No, I hope I never become so pompous as to get tired of such great compliments... If I do, I'm dead.

Write a book? Gosh, I'm not sure I'd even know where to begin... besides, most of the "knowledge" in my articles is nothing more than a slightly different explanation of what a great number of people have already done. Sounds strange and maybe even a bit disappointing to some, I'm sure, but the methods I write about are mostly not my own with some exceptions... I've only tried to coalesce and clairfy what someone else has already done. I make a good "second" or "me too" and I can usually write a pretty good performance test... 🙂

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Nothing is new under the sun, Jeff. Experts are expert by being able to concisely compile information and explain something, not necessarily make it up.

I'd buy the book.

Or at least check it out of the library 😛

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (6/23/2008)

Nothing is new under the sun, Jeff. Experts are expert by being able to concisely compile information and explain something, not necessarily make it up.

I'd buy the book.

Or at least check it out of the library 😛

Thanks for the support... but I have proof that there are new things under the sun. My Dad just finished 11 years of testing with the Navy on a fuel he made... it works underwater or in outer-space (or any anaerobic environment) because it carries it's own Oxygen (it's a Monopropellant)... depending on the purpose and how much heat you want to get out of it, it varies between 60 and 80% WATER content by volume... if you run it through the correct catalyst, you get a little heat, water, and Oxygen for emergencies (oh, how they could have used all 3 on the Kursk and Apollo 13!)... it's by-products of combustion are CO2 and Water Vapor (seltzer water if you condense it)... it won't detonate (big part of the testing) and it can be stored between -80 and +158 degree F without separating... and, it's so safe, that if you water it down, you can brush your teeth with it... During bon-fire testing, the fuel almost put the fire out. :hehe:

That's something "new under the sun"... 😀 And, no... not pulling anyone's leg... It's for real...

It was designed as a replacement for OTTO Fuel II which is what the Navy is currently using. OTTO Fuel II has a couple of problems... if you breath it's vapors for ten minutes, you become so dependent (it's a nitrate) that you die when you stop breathing it... the vapors of combustion have Cyanide in some significant quantity... it leaves an engine so dirty that you have to tear it down after each run to clean it and all the towels you use become Class A hazardous material because the residue is so toxic and caustic... it's pretty sensitive to temperature extremes... it will easily detonate... if you get it on you, you get sick... if you get it in you, you die...

We're also looking at some commercial and recreational applications... not just for the Navy.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (6/23/2008)[hrIt was designed as a replacement for OTTO Fuel II which is what the Navy is currently using. OTTO Fuel II has a couple of problems... if you breath it's vapors for ten minutes, you become so dependent (it's a nitrate) that you die when you stop breathing it... the vapors of combustion have Cyanide in some significant quantity... it leaves an engine so dirty that you have to tear it down after each run to clean it and all the towels you use become Class A hazardous material because the residue is so toxic and caustic... it's pretty sensitive to temperature extremes... it will easily detonate... if you get it on you, you get sick... if you get it in you, you die...

We're also looking at some commercial and recreational applications... not just for the Navy.

Ok, when I see things like this, I always have to wonder, how was this tested/proven? :ermm::blink:

Ian.

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
    -- Winston Churchill

• Ian Crandell (6/23/2008)

Jeff Moden (6/23/2008)[hrIt was designed as a replacement for OTTO Fuel II which is what the Navy is currently using. OTTO Fuel II has a couple of problems... if you breath it's vapors for ten minutes, you become so dependent (it's a nitrate) that you die when you stop breathing it... the vapors of combustion have Cyanide in some significant quantity... it leaves an engine so dirty that you have to tear it down after each run to clean it and all the towels you use become Class A hazardous material because the residue is so toxic and caustic... it's pretty sensitive to temperature extremes... it will easily detonate... if you get it on you, you get sick... if you get it in you, you die...

Ok, when I see things like this, I always have to wonder, how was this tested/proven? :ermm::blink:

We didn't do that part of the testing... someone else did... and I'm pretty sure that they didn't use humans... just project managers :hehe:

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• This stuff is not genetically bread into humans. We all have to be educated. I hardly ever post onto forums, and so I didn't know the rules before reading this article. I appreciate the education. Thanks.

• The one thing I can't figure out is how to post white space in front of code. What I mean is: say I want to indent some code. I totally agree how much proper indenting helps with readability. However, when I put in spaces, it seems like those beginning spaces always get removed. How do you get the indents to work?

• JJ B... (Jar-Jar Binks???)

When you go to post code, take a look at the "IFCode Shortcuts" just to the left of the Edit window... click on the "code" pair there and then paste your code between the pair. I you don't want to use the code window that makes, then you have to change all spaces to non-breaking spaces using the HTML code for a such a thing and then you also need to select a fixed font like Courier... code window does all of that for you and it keeps your code from wrapping in the wrong place.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 210 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply