First Impressions

• djackson 22568 (11/11/2011)

First impressions are almost always wrong.

Not always.:-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• TravisDBA (11/14/2011)

djackson 22568 (11/11/2011)

First impressions are almost always wrong.

Not always.:-D

True, I actually am insane. I'm just the friendly kind. 😉

Of course you have to be willing to re-wire your first impressions, but that doesn't mean you discount them. We are humans, and we have emotional memory and instincts for a reason. They are not logically accurate, but they are a sum of subconscious knowledge. There is a reason people 'give us the creeps', even if we can't nail down why.

The trick is not to turn every little thing they do into a reinforcement of the first impressions, but to take each thing independently. The 'bubble blonde' with talks about everything light and easy and laughs a lot might be an actual idiot... or she may just know her audience and is going out of her way not to talk 'shop'. It's hard to know even in the first few times you meet them socially.

Then again, you also run with it and don't bring up string theory with her at the table.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• "The next few times I connect with that person I try hard not to let that first perception define them."

I'm so glad that you do that. Unfortunatelly some people don't.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply