Finding skipped values

• I don't think he meant to be sarcastic... he was just having fun and beat most of us to it.  It's hard to tell in email when someone is joking and I'm pretty sure that's what was intended. 

What he's really concerned about is the deleting of data which is your basic Bozo-No-No in most every case with rare exceptions.  The reason none of us knew $#!7 about it was you didn't tell us $#!7 about it.  If you told us in the beginning that it was to recycle a certain number of password positions, then perhaps we'd not have wasted our time trying to tell you that the unaudited deletion of data is a form of "death by SQL".  Of course, I don't know $#!7 either

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• I really don't think he was concerned. I think he was trying to be a smartass.

I posted a simple question and got what I wanted. I went with the join with a numbers table solution and it's working mighty fine.

I know that deleting info should not be done just like that. In this case I have to work with what I have and frankly I don't think deleting one row in a pretty much isolated table will cause any trouble. Of course it would be better if they had a status column, but as I said before, that's the way the DB was made.

I appretiate all of your inputs.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply