Finding levels in a hierarchy

• i am afraid that is in your interpretation, i appreciate the help, however i do not see why i need to explain to anyone why i dont have time to read through a few articles or explain what i am doing or why i am doing it, i came on here to see what the options where and the responses where great, given me a lot ot think about and certainly will use some of it in the future -   I myself give plenty of free help / assistance on different forums, and i dont  define what people do with that advice, or tell them they they doing it wrong because they haven't followed the approach i would take specifically when i dont have all information(which was not necessary to provide here, therefore no need to assume on anyones part what i am doing wrong). 

I also think the way people generally read responses, which is the problem with the written word , is that tone and expression is often interpretated how they themself see the topic and not necessarily how the person is saying it.

once again i am truly appreciative of all responses, and have taken what i need from them, which is the point isn't it, to take what you need according to your requirements

• vee van gelder - Wednesday, August 1, 2018 7:08 AM

i am afraid that is in your interpretation, i appreciate the help, however i do not see why i need to explain to anyone why i dont have time to read through a few articles or explain what i am doing or why i am doing.  I myself give plenty of free help / assistance on different forums, and i dont  define what people do with that advice, or tell them they they doing it wrong because they haven't followed the approach i would take because i dont have the fulll information.  Secondly the way people generally read responses, as in the written word is often interpretated how they themself see the topic and not necessarily how the person is saying it.

once again i am truly appreciative of all responses, and have taken what i need from them.

These forums are a two-way street. The people here volunteer their time and expertise for free. In return, there is an expectation that people who post questions do so in a diligent and friendly manner and take the time to learn from the responses.

If you post a question, receive responses from these people and then exhibit a 'tldr' attitude to those responses, you will probably find that you get fewer and fewer responses in future. Not to mention that the solutions you end up implementing won't be as good as they could have been, had you taken the time to do things right.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• vee van gelder - Wednesday, August 1, 2018 7:08 AM

i am afraid that is in your interpretation, i appreciate the help, however i do not see why i need to explain to anyone why i dont have time to read through a few articles or explain what i am doing or why i am doing it, i came on here to see what the options where and the responses where great, given me a lot ot think about and certainly will use some of it in the future -   I myself give plenty of free help / assistance on different forums, and i dont  define what people do with that advice, or tell them they they doing it wrong because they haven't followed the approach i would take specifically when i dont have all information(which was not necessary to provide here, therefore no need to assume on anyones part what i am doing wrong). 

I also think the way people generally read responses, which is the problem with the written word , is that tone and expression is often interpretated how they themself see the topic and not necessarily how the person is saying it.

once again i am truly appreciative of all responses, and have taken what i need from them, which is the point isn't it, to take what you need according to your requirements

You're quite correct.  That IS my interpretation.   When you post on an English-language based forum, you can be expected to understand the meaning of what you are posting.   You are also expected to understand the responses.and be able to connect a given posted item with the responses it gets.   If a response reacts negatively to something you post, then you should at least try to understand WHY there was a negative reaction, if you are not fully fluent in the base language of the forum, you're going to have problems doing that, and will need to exercise more caution with your posts.

• English is my first language, the comment it works both ways doesn't seem to apply to the regulars here, its ok for someone to insintuate my approach is incorrect and will affect my business and when pointing out thats their assumption i am the one who gets lambasted for it?  doesn't seem to make sense, as for the dilligence ive applied, no one would know what dilligence i have or haven't applied since it seems people on here have their assumptions to go on.

clearly the understanding needs to work both ways, i dont need to be treated like a child simply because i have time constraints. 

personally finding this to be a bit of pack mentality

• vee van gelder - Wednesday, August 1, 2018 8:25 AM

English is my first language, the comment it works both ways doesn't seem to apply to the regulars here, its ok for someone to insintuate my approach is incorrect and will affect my business and when pointing out thats their assumption i am the one who gets lambasted for it?  doesn't seem to make sense, as for the dilligence ive applied, no one would know what dilligence i have or haven't applied since it seems people on here have their assumptions to go on.

clearly the understanding needs to work both ways, i dont need to be treated like a child simply because i have time constraints. 

personally finding this to be a bit of pack mentality

That tends to happen when you ask for help but don't provide a full set of details.   How would you feel if you were asked for help, provided it, and then get what appears to be a snide comment about the assumptions you probably had no choice but to make precisely because you didn't have a full set of details to work with?   If you understand English as well as you claim, and you didn't see that comment as in the snide category, then you need to open your eyes and pay more attention to how you are perceived by others.   Most people I know would NOT appreciate being treated that way, and using the excuse that you have time constraints isn't going to cut it.   If you don't have time to be polite, then what are we supposed to do with that, exactly?

• vee van gelder - Wednesday, August 1, 2018 1:27 AM

you kinda of making assumptions about what is needed for the POC, thanks for help though i have enough of what i need.

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.  Apologies for the assumptions about what is needed for the POC.  In the absence of more information, I did make some assumptions about the POC and also anticipate possible future requirements based solely on personal experience.

I also think the way people generally read responses, which is the problem with the written word , is that tone and expression is often interpretated how they themself see the topic and not necessarily how the person is saying it.

Truer words never spoken.  That is a huge problem on forums in general.  To be sure, whether I agree or not, I took no offense at your comment.

Getting over all that, the real key here is do you have what you need? 

Shifting gears a bit and from a purely intellectual standpoint (translation: a chance for me to learn what others use hierarchies for) I'd also be curious what requirements the hierarchy effort you good folks are trying is supposed to meet especially since I've had to work with some pretty hairy ones in the past.  If nothing else, It'll help me help others in the future.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply