Find Who is NOT granted

• i've got two tables, one a list of users, and another is a list of documents, and who has been "granted" access to document. I need the reverse of the information...for record1, who has not been "granted"

and i can't seem to get my arms around the sql;

here's sample data:

--###################################

create table #granted(grantedid int,grantedname varchar(30) )

create table #temp(recid int ,recdescrip varchar(30) ,grantedid int)

insert into #granted(grantedid,grantedname) values (1,'Lowell')

insert into #granted(grantedid,grantedname) values (2,'Remi')

insert into #granted(grantedid,grantedname) values (3,'Frank')

insert into #granted(grantedid,grantedname) values (4,'Noel')

insert into #temp(recid,recdescrip,grantedid) values(1,'rec1',1)

insert into #temp(recid,recdescrip,grantedid) values(1,'rec1',2)

insert into #temp(recid,recdescrip,grantedid) values(2,'rec2',2)

insert into #temp(recid,recdescrip,grantedid) values(3,'rec3',2)

insert into #temp(recid,recdescrip,grantedid) values(3,'rec3',3)

insert into #temp(recid,recdescrip,grantedid) values(4,'rec4',4)

--this shows who is explicitly granted

select #temp.recid,

#temp.recdescrip,

#temp.grantedid,

#granted.grantedname

from #temp

inner join #granted on #temp.grantedid=#granted.grantedid

order by recid,grantedname

--how do i get the list that shows that Frank has NOT been granted access to records 1,2 and 4?

--actually i want a list that shows for each document, who does not have access from #granted

i can join tables on data where the elements have a relationship, but how do i show a "missing" relationship?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• You're missing a table in this design, should be :

Users

Documents

PermissionsUsersDocuments

It takes all three of these tables to create this query.

• the documents table exists, i guess i just didn't include in in the example for brevity;

that may give me the kick in the pants i needed; i didn't think about additionally joining on the third table.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Maybe you should have used more xml to solve this problem .

• I tried the alternate method, but the excess violence just caused me to replace the keyboard

still trying to figure out; this sql gives all the possible combinations, but i still cannot figure out how to rip out the items that exist in the #temp table

the missing join condition does cross join? i think?

select distinct #temp.recid,

#temp.recdescrip,

#temp.grantedid,

#granted.grantedname

from #temp,#granted

order by recid,grantedname

Lowell

• I either don't understand your design or there's a missing link.

You need all 3 tables for this, the temp table is useless in this case to get that info (unless you might wanna use not in/exists), but you still need the base tables to create this one

• Yes you need the cross join to get all the posible combinations and then left join to the the granted (third table that Remi is metioning)

Something like:

Select All.DocID, All.UserID

from (select DocID, UserID

from Docs cross join Users) All

Left join Grants G on All.DocID = G.DocID and All.UserID = G.UserID

where G.UserID IS NULL

* Noel

• Yup, that good old cartesian result .

• Tricky little problem.  There were some interesting twists with the cross join.  Here's my whack at it (Although you've probably got it by now already):

select x.recid, x.recdescrip, x.grantedid as NotGrantedToId, x.grantedname as NotGrantedToName

from

(

select distinct b.recid, b.recdescrip, c.grantedid, c.grantedname

from

#temp b

cross join #granted c

) x

left join #temp d

on x.recid = d.recid

and x.grantedid = d.grantedid

where d.recid is null

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply