FileGroup restores

• We have a DB of 150+ GB. 90% of the database is stored in two tables which are not needed 90% of the time when we send a copy of a database to the vendor for support/dev reasons or when we backup & restore to other instances.

Everything currently sits in one filegroup. My proposal is to spilt into two file groups putting the two large tables into their own group. I will then only backup/restore the main file group for the 90% of the time I don't need the two tables of data.

My question is, this is easily achieved by marking the secondary filegroup as offline in the restored environment but what I am unclear on is I wish to have this file group online but with empty tables in it, will it allow me to restore the second file with no data in the two tables? The application would not error as it woudl just return no rows (no foreign keys to anything in the main filegroup) but would allow extra data to be added. Test records being added.

In addition to this, to move the tables into the new file group I can't rebuild the indexes as they have an image column in them. What is the best way to acheive this with a large table (large binary not large row count)? Insert into?

Thanks,

Steve.

• Anybody? Do I need to clarify anything to help explain it?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply