Faster way to edit a view (than using modify)

• I miss the 'edit' button from SS2000 where I could right-click on a view and edit the contents. It seems to have been replaced with 'modify', which I don't like because it is so slow and I like to see my formatting (and I don't need the diagram view). So now I have to right-click the view, scroll down to 'script view as', scroll down to 'alter to', select 'new query editor window'. I really miss edit, it was so much easier!

Is there a faster way to script a view to a new query editor window? I can't figure out how to make a keyboard shortcut for this. Anyone have any thoughts or solutions? Thanks!

• Nope, that's it.

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• hi

u can right click on the view and select "script view as"  to script the view to a new query editor window.

for creating keyboard shortcuts for a procedure or view - select options from the tools menu.  Then expand  "Environment"  and select keyboard. Here u can choose the shortcut key and type in ur text.

Refer BOL for more details.

"Keep Trying"

• 1. Heather knows about the "script view as" (read the rest of her post).

2. The keyboard shortcuts doesn't apply here as there is nothing you can add to the shortcuts that will automatically script the view as create to a new window.

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• Thanks, Robert. It's not the answer I wanted, but it's what I suspected.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply