Failover timeout problem

• I'm looking for an additional bit of help with regard to some problems I'm looking at for one of my company's clients. Basically I have two related problems with regard to a 2-node active/active cluster hosting an instance of 2008 R2 on each instance.

One of the instances, normally on node#2, is at RTM. And when failing over to node #1 there is a time-out bringing the SQL Server service on-line, however once the time-out has, er, 'timed out', the service can actually be brought on-line OK manually. And looking at the Log there are errors of the form ‘Login failed ..... Reason: Server is in script upgrade mode…..’. At first I thought this was the result of a failed attempt at installing SP1 however I'm now not so sure. SP1 has definitely been installed on both nodes and the other instance, normally on node #1, is at SP1. I assume this was following the recommendation to install the service pack on the 'inactive' node, failing over and repeating the process. However I'm having difficulty interpreting the installation logs to see if just one instance has been updated or both, with one failing. So I was hoping someone could help me with that in terms of what log file I should be looking at.

Also, what might be the meaning of the 'script upgrade mode' errors? Does this indeed sound like a failed SP1 upgrade or is something else at play here? Curiously the problem only occurs in one direction - from node #2 to node #1. When failing back to node #2 the SQL Server service comes back on-line without the need for any manual intervention.

Regards,

Gordon.

• Gordon Feeney (6/16/2015)

Also, what might be the meaning of the 'script upgrade mode' errors? Does this indeed sound like a failed SP1 upgrade or is something else at play here? Curiously the problem only occurs in one direction - from node #2 to node #1. When failing back to node #2 the SQL Server service comes back on-line without the need for any manual intervention.

Regards,

Gordon.

The script upgrade mode message is informing you that an update has been installed on the node and upon failover the system is being updated to reflect the new update (usually a service pack).

If the instance fails back to a node without the update a downgrade will occur.

Easy way here is to run the SP setup and when you get to the instance selection dialog it will tell you which instances have been upgraded on that node and which haven't.

It sounds like node1 has the update installed but not node2, it may be that the SP installer failed on node2 and was never completed successfully.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Many thanks, Perry and apologies for the delay in responding. I'll carry out your suggestion of kicking-off the SP1 upgrade.

Regards,

Gordon.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply