Failover Switching

• Hi,

I am totally blank on this subject . I am sure there wil be lot of veterans in this subject. One of My Client want to implement the follwoing System in his server.

This person was running with a single db server so far. now he is going to buy one more server . and he wanted to maintain the mirror of his current db server and at any breakdown the system should switch to the other server without holding the work. I have a little idea about the same. I knew that this is verymuch possible. but how to acieve this in a Win2k Server i have no clue. It will be a great help if you can throw some light on this topic.

Jeswanth

--------------------------------

• One of the scenario where you can achieve automatic failover is Clustering. You can set up clustering between two servers but there would be only one copy of data. If your data gets corrupt for some reason, you won't gain anything from this. Clustering is more for hardware redundancy. If one node goes down, the resources failover to the other node.

below are some other options

1) Replication : You can set up replication between two servers and then mention push/pull to replicate the data to the remote servers. There is no automatic failover from one server to the second server.

2) Log shipping : There is no automatic failover in this case also. this can be used to maintain your secondary server to have an image of your production/primary data but with a time lag.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply