Exporting Documents into file system

• Hey all,

Wanted to take a database and export all the documents from it using either t-sql or ssis package. It would be a nightly job that would backup the documents to a file structure. The document types are doc, docx, and xls. Does anyone have any pointers in where to start?

• Niall Duggan-433856 (2/19/2010)

Hey all,

Wanted to take a database and export all the documents from it using either t-sql or ssis package. It would be a nightly job that would backup the documents to a file structure. The document types are doc, docx, and xls. Does anyone have any pointers in where to start?

Are the files stored as BLOB columns in your database? If that is the case, you can setup a data flow and use the standard Export Column transformation to extract the files.

---
    SSIS Tasks Components Scripts Services | http://www.cozyroc.com/

• Although I agree with Cozy, I have a larger question, why? What is it that you are trying to accomplish? If you are doing SQL backups you already have a backup of this data.

CEWII

• Yes they are in as blobs. Cheers for that.

And why well thats because i was told to do it! my frist instinct was they were in the backup anyways as well but boss wants them in a directory so can be browsed easily if needed..

• Not to be abrasive but when I get told to do something that is questionable (in my view), I ask questions and try to figure out what we are trying to accomplish. Just because my boss wants something doesn't mean it makes sense or that we SHOULD do it. Most don't much about hows, just the result. I'm looking for a solution that solves the problem and doesn't cause any others.

What does he want to browse? Filenames? Content? What is the problem he wants to solve?

CEWII

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply