Explain Plain

• Hi,

I am tuning a query and execution plan is telling me the implicit conversion. I think this conversion is the cause of index scan rather seek.

"[dbo].[tblEcomConfiguration].[SiteId] as [this_].[SiteId]=CONVERT_IMPLICIT(int,[@1],0)"

SiteId is a reference attribute from tblSite. I have verified that on both table datatype is same.

Query has no explicit conversion function.

How to handle this situation ?

--== below is a complete XML plan (predicate section only)

<Predicate>

<ScalarOperator ScalarString="[database].[dbo].[tblEcomConfiguration].[SiteId] as [this_].[SiteId]=CONVERT_IMPLICIT(int,[@1],0)">

<Compare CompareOp="EQ">

<ScalarOperator>

<Identifier>

<ColumnReference Database="[database]" Schema="[dbo]" Table="[tblEcomConfiguration]" Alias="[this_]" Column="SiteId" />

</Identifier>

</ScalarOperator>

<ScalarOperator>

<Identifier>

<ColumnReference Column="ConstExpr1002">

<ScalarOperator>

<Convert DataType="int" Style="0" Implicit="true">

<ScalarOperator>

<Identifier>

<ColumnReference Column="@1" />

</Identifier>

</ScalarOperator>

</Convert>

</ScalarOperator>

</ColumnReference>

</Identifier>

</ScalarOperator>

</Compare>

</ScalarOperator>

</Predicate>

• is the datatype of the parameter passed also int, or is there an ISNULL(@param,0) used anywhere in the code?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• this is great Lowell. it was not in my consideration .

I will ask developer.

• Can you post the entire execution plan please? Save it, zip and attach to your post.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi GilaMonster,

I have attached the explain plan.

I have tuned another query and successfully convert index scan to index seek. But when I have index seek, keyLookup also came . This keylookup saying SeekPredicate are (indexed column) ........

So this keylookup is acceptable or have to remove ?

• I'm guessing that because the command sent was ...

WHERE [this_].[SiteId] = 5506

the 5506 has to be implicitly converted to the approriate type(the column it is compared to)

if you declared a parameter and used that, you'd loose the implicit conversion.,

if [this_].[SiteId] was a smallint, it would be implicitly converted to a small int, right?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• true Lowell.

I have tested it on TSQL, when I declare variable as varchar , it has implicit conversion as int it has not but start showing other predicate 🙁

• does a plan for this look any better?

Declare @param int

SET @param=5506

SELECT [this_].[EcomConfigurationId] [EcomConf1_3_0_],

[this_].[EcomEmailAddress] [EcomEmai2_3_0_],

[this_].[SecondryEcomEmailAddress] [Secondry3_3_0_],

[this_].[Partner] [Partner3_0_],

[this_].[MerchantLogin] [Merchant5_3_0_],

[this_].[UserName] [UserName3_0_],

[this_].[Password] [Password3_0_],

[this_].[SiteId] [SiteId3_0_]

FROM [tblEcomConfiguration] [this_]

WHERE [this_].[SiteId] = @param

Lowell

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply