Experienced DBA ego

• Hi All;

I am felling very bad!:exclamationmark:

I thing some experienced DBAs are trying to confuse when they take the interviews of a younger DBA. They are note focus what he (younger dba) done and what he exactly know. They are trying to find out negative things. They have very much ego. They are not good listener and they are not good interviewer.

Ram
    MSSQL DBA

• Do you have a question, or are you just trying to insult people?

Related to this question: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic848271-1550-1.aspx

No replies to this thread please.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Sir Really I have lot of questions.

But a 11 years experienced DBA is hearts me!

Ram
    MSSQL DBA

• They are probably grilling to see if you can go the job properly and under pressure so that you do not make mistakes and then they get the blame.

However some people regardless of profession have huge egos so I wouldn't take it to heart just answer the questions professionally and to the best of your ability.

• baghel_ramdas (1/15/2010)

Sir Really I have lot of questions.

I don't see one in this thread. I just see a complaint.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I am Sorry for this complaint!

Ram
    MSSQL DBA

• Like I implied in your other thread... sometimes senior DBA's are jerks or ring knockers just showing off... But, usually not. Usually they grill you because it's a tough job and they want to see not only what you know but how you handle the pressure and how you react when you're asked something that you don't know. And, make no doubt about it... if you "fake" an answer, the experienced DBA will "smell" it a mile away even if you "guess" the correct answer.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• I usually ask questions based around the cv / what the person being interviewed claims to have done. Moral don't put stuff in your cv because you think it'll impress/get you an interview.

and I agree with the others - a production dba often has to cope with the unknown and pressure from managers etc. when there are problems - Beyond basics it's not always that you know the answer - it's how you might approach a subject and can you be coached to that route.

I'd also say that sometimes those being interviewed think they know a lot more than they do - this also can come over as being arrogant to the person interviewing.

But I'm still not sure I see what your point is?

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• If you are getting grilled during the interview - it might be a good thing too.

If I feel that an interviewee is faking it, I will end the interview more quickly. If they seem to be answering the questions, I will try to ask tougher questions. The idea is to weed out the jrs from the srs and to make sure the interviewee will be a good fit.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Yet another reason why we are *tough* on potential DBAs during their interviews is that we are relying on you as both a teammate, fallback resource, what have you to either assist us in accomplishing tasks, requirements, goals, objectives and also potentially pulling our arses out of the fire in the direst of consequences at the worst possible hours. We need to be assured that you are competent to do so - not just on paper, but when you're on 1 hour of sleep with an entire company yelling at you (or worse, at Me.):-)

- Tim Ford, SQL Server MVPhttp://www.sqlcruise.comhttp://www.thesqlagentman.com http://www.linkedin.com/in/timothyford

• Being a DBA position or in any professional position, thin skinned people won't make it.

You will always be blamed for anything that goes wrong. That is just the way it is.

As long as things are going well, you don't exist.

It is only when something goes wrong that everyone points at you.

They are testing your demeanor under pressure and critisism.

With all due respect, it looks like you might have failed.

Not everyone is cut from the same cloth and as such this might not be your calling.

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply