Executing SSIS package remotely

• Hi experts,

I created the SSIS package on server A which only has client utilities installed. SSIS has one Execute SQL task that runs a stored procedure on server B.

It also includes a bunch of Execute Process Tasks, which execute Command Line scripts on Server A to manipulate and FTP files.

The job runs fine on server A.

I need to schedule and call this package from server B.

I tried running DTexec from the SQL job as well as running it as SSIS package from the File system.

Each time the job fails on finding directories that I use in the Execute Process task, as if it's looking for them locally on Server B.

What am I doing wrong here? Is there a way to tell the job to run those tasks on the server where package is located?

Thansk

Narine

• Can you just use UNC paths?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• You can change it's working directory, but it will still be executing wherever the DTexec is running. There's no simple fix for that.

Phil's suggestion is well taken, I always use UNC names for file locations with SSIS.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• I tried adding UNC paths in the Execute Process Task WorkingDirectory, but that doesn't seem to work. The task executes without an error but it doesn't do anything.

• You should probably try turning on logging to see what it is doing, and what it is seeing.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• Also, a UNC working directory setting will only affect relative paths. It's won't affect any hard-coded paths with Drive letters or their own UNC paths in them.

[/font]

• Thanks for you help!

I had to use UNC paths everywhere including Arguments and Executable.

A little inconvinient but that did the trick.

• That's pretty much what everyone does with SSIS.

[/font]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply