Executing package with a configuration

• Hi,

I have a package for which I have set the configuration file to be in C:\FWS\FWS.dtsConfig in BIDS.

The package has been deployed an set up to be executed by an sql server agent job and runs fine as long as the configuration file is located in C:\FWS\FWS.dtsConfig.

Now I have to change the configuration path to be D:\FWS\FWS.dtsConfig. I thought I could use the unchanged package and set the configuration file path within the job step to D:.

When trying to execute the job I get error messages like

The file name property is not valid. The file name is a device or contains invalid characters.

although all relevant Raw File Targets and Data Flow Tasks have been set to ValidateExternalMetadata=false/DelayValidation=true.

So it seems that the D:\FWS\FWS.dtsConfig that contains the correct settings cannot be found. When I copy the file to D:\FWS\FWS.dtsConfig, all is fine.

So I have two questions:

• What is the purpose of setting the configuration path in the job step (i. e. dtexec)? Is this not a recommended method if the actual config path has to be changed from the path at development time?
  • Why do these errors show up at the first validation of the package even if the validation of the tasks should be delayed?
  • Is D a local drive or a mapped network drive?

Russel Loski, MCSE Business Intelligence, Data Platform

• D is a local drive

Regards

Alexander

• Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply