Executing DTS via Command Line

• I need to allow users in other departments to be able to execute DTS packages. I would like to use the DTSRun /f "...." by having a drive mapping on the station running the command line to the shared folder where the COM-structured file dts package is saved.

However, I understand that the station needs SQL Server 2000 installed on their station, which we will not be able to do. Can we just install the dtsrun.exe and not SQL Server Enterprise Manager and Query Analyzer on the station? They need this set up ASAP and I'm just trying to find the quickest way to allow them to run the DTS Package without them calling me to execute it via Enterprise Manager.

Thanks!

• You could build a small VB app to execute the DTS package and distribute the app to the required stations.

I am not sure about just installing dtsrun.exe as there could be other dependent .dll files required to execute successfully.

Joseph

• I did find a page somewhere that informed me of all the .dlls I would need to install in order to run dtsrun.exe.

I would like to make this as simple as possible. I don't know VB that well. Would I have to create a dll and install that on the PCs? What about using Cold Fusion to call the DTS Package?

Thanks for your help!!!!

• I don't use ColdFusion but if you have VB, add a reference to Microsoft DTSPackage Object Library in a new VB Project. Add a command button to a form and add the following code to its click event.

<code>

Dim objPackage As Package2

Set objPackage = New Package2

objPackage.LoadFromStorageFile "UNCFile","Password"

objPackage.Execute

'Cleanup

objPackage.UnInitialize

Set objPackage = Nothing

</code>

You could implement the above code as your requirements dictate. Whichever way you implement the code, packaging and distributing it to the users will ensure the required dependent files are also distributed. Hope this helps.

Joseph

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply