Executing a dts package outside of enterprise mananger

• HI. I have an import job that is set up with a dts package. It will import an access table into a sql server database table. This job will need to be run as needed(like once a year) but never at the same time, so I can't schedule it. I wanted to know if our computer operators could somehow submit this package to run but without having enterprise manager installed on their pc. 

Make any sense?

Thanks,

Juanita

• You can run DTS jobs from a command prompt or in a batch job.

The basic syntax is "dtsrun /S /E /N"

The /E switch tells DTS to run under a trusted account. You may have to replace it with /U user_name and /P password]}

Search for "dtsrun Utility" in BOL.

• Thanks so much !!! I'll look that up !!

Juanita 

• If you don't have Enterprise Manager installed, you will need to install DTS. Unfortunately, I don't have the SQL installation files with me but, from memory, you can install DTS without needing to install any of the other SQL client tools.

• An alternative to learning the command line options for DTSRun is to use DTSRunUI. This is a GUI utility for choosing the package, version, setting globals etc with an option to generate the DTSRun command line for later execution.

• Check out SQLDTS.COM, they've got a listing of files that need to be installed to get DTS to work on its own.

http://www.sqldts.com/default.aspx?225

Doubt that these files are freely distributable, so be aware of licensing issues when doing this.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply