Execute SSIS package in production from Dev

• Hello All,

is there any way to run an SSIS package that is in production from other servers????

Thanks,

• You can run it from another server. When creating the SQL Agent job, specify the source of the package (for instance you can select the production SQL server if the package is stored in msdb).

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• MrReddy (6/27/2012)

Hello All,

is there any way to run an SSIS package that is in production from other servers????

Thanks,

Can you, yes. Should you, no. It makes management a nightmare figuring out where the calls are coming from, and opens up security risks.

Are you trying to close the hole or are you trying to be able to test/run fixes from a development environment in production? I'd really only rather answer questions on the first half of that, personally, the second is too prone to abuse.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Here my problem is the data is coming from an Oracle source and is loading into a SQL table.

The Oracle data is updated at anytime , so I need to run my package whenever I needed. As of now, I moved the package to production and only a DBA can run the package whenever I asked him to do so.

I just wants to not to involve a DBA everytime.

Thanks,

• The way I understand it, you are trying to move data from production to dev to test etc?

Is that accurate?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• MrReddy (6/27/2012)

Here my problem is the data is coming from an Oracle source and is loading into a SQL table.

The Oracle data is updated at anytime , so I need to run my package whenever I needed. As of now, I moved the package to production and only a DBA can run the package whenever I asked him to do so.

I just wants to not to involve a DBA everytime.

Thanks,

Then I'd recommend you set this up differently and ask the DBA to setup a job on the server. Setup two jobs, one that's enabled with no schedule (the one that runs your SSIS package) and another that looks for something that indicates the Oracle Source updated. I'm not sure what that is but if you speak with the Oracle developers I'm sure they'll be able to help. Set that job to poll once every few minutes. If it finds that the Oracle Data updated, have it exec sp_start_job on your unscheduled job so it'll go through the process of updating your tables, and have it disable the schedule on the 'polling' job until it's complete.

You're looking to affect production data with a call from a dev environment, which breaks SOX and a number of other rules that won't be opened up to you if your DBAs are following enforcement properly. That and, well, it's part of their job. Try to come up with automation for it, that's your best bet.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Thank you all for your reply.,,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply