Examples of Windows batch file for copying backups?

• Hey guys,

I would like to have a simple batch file that will copy over all local backups from a folder(s) on the source server over to a network share folder(s).

Does anyone have something like this, or a close example?

Thank you.

• Try XCOPY:

XCOPY source [destination] [/A | /M] [/D[:date]] [/P] [/S [/E]] [/V] [/W] [/C] [/I] [/Q] [/F] [/L] [/H] [/R] [/T] [/U] [/K] [/N] [/O] [/X] [/Y] [/-Y] [/Z] [/EXCLUDE:file1[+file2][+file3]...]

Or simpler:

xcopy /e /v /y d:\Backups\files \\NTSERVER\backups\data

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• I recommend using xcopy. We have several bat files to do similiar things.

you would put something like the below in a bat file.

There are many options with xcopy and I would recommend doing some research on it.

xcopy \\servername\sharename\foldername \\destination\share\folder /y

Dan

If only I could snap my figures and have all the correct indexes apear and the buffer clean and.... Start day dream here.

• Copy is a good option, I personally use Robocopy that offer some good features.

Includes purging old files..

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733145%28WS.10%29.aspx

• Great, xcopy does the trick.

Do any of you guys have a script for purging the old backups?

• I believe this only only works on local drives, not UNC paths.

EXEC xp_cmdshell 'FORFILES /p F:\Backup /s /m *.bak /d -3 /c "CMD /C del /Q /F @FILE"'

Also see this http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/scripts/Administration/62729/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply