Error Log file emty

• Hi

I am seeing something stange and hope someone else have seen this before or can tell me what to do to figure this out. One of my SQL 2005 entiprise X64 error logs/cycle is empty except for one record. Is there something that can make the error log stop working? I know reocrds can be deleted but I am unable to figure out if this is what happened.

The one log stops on 28 Jan at 02:06 - Log cycle attempt

then there is one record in the following cycle 28 Jan 05:06 - Log cycle attempt

The current log starts at 29 Jan 02:07 - Log cycle attempt

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Do not reinvent the wheel.

• Forgot to mention that the physical file has data in it.

• I am not so sure if you have tried checkinig the log file directory for sql server in windows.

I believe that this can also happen if the sp_cycle_errorlog is run multiple times in a matter of a very small time interval.

It tends to break to break the log and and start a new one (as you would be aware).

So, if I have set the option to retain 3 log files on my server and run the above sp 3 times, it will wipe out all the old log files and leave the log with just a few records.

Regards

Akhil

• the log file is under th log directory but is not displayed by SQL log viewer.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply