Error installing Security update.

• I am applying the MS08-040 Security patch for SQL Server 2005(build 3233) and I have a question. After we installed SQL Server 2005 and SP2, we move the system database files and the system transaction log files to separate directories. When I install the security patch(or any other updates, I assume) the patch installer places the system resource database log file into the same directory as the system resource database datafile. This causes the installation to say it failed because it could not restart the MSSQLService. I Googled the error and found that this was a known problem, so I move the log file to the correct directory and the service started ok. My question is, since the patch install failed at that point, are there any subsequent actions that were not performed? If so, are there any write-ups that would allow me to finish this process?

• The mssqlsystemresource follows the master data file... not entirely sure about the log file, but wherever you attempted to move it, was the master log file in that directory? If so, I'm assuming that both the data and log file for mssqlsystemresource have to follow the master data file then.

• The datafiles for all system databases are in the same directory. The same for the log files.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply