Error in Update Command

• Hi

I am getting below mentioned error while executing an Update statement.

Error:

Subquery returned more than 1 value. This is not permitted when the subquery follows =, !=, = or when the subquery is used as an expression.

The statement has been terminated.

My sample update query

Update a set

Col1 = B.Col1,

COL2 = B.Col2

FROM

A JOIN B ON A.Col3 = B.Col3

I dont see any duplicate values Col3 on both the tables. Can anyone let me know to resolve this?

Thanks in advance !!!

• There must be something you aren't showing us. There is no subquery shown in your example. The update statement you show will run without an error regardless of whether or not you force duplicates in column three of table A or table B.

The error message you are getting says that you are trying to set some value based on a subquery that is returning more than one row.

set A.ColX = (select B.ColY from B where date >= '1/1/2000')

Please post the complete code, and a little more information about what you are trying to do, and we can try to work this out.

create table #a (Col1 int, Col2 int, Col3 int)

create table #b (Col1 int, Col2 int, Col3 int)

insert into #a

select 0,0,1 union all

select 0,0,2 union all

select 0,0,2

insert into #b

select 1,1,1 union all

select 2,2,2 union all

select 3,3,2

Update #a

set Col1 = b.Col1

,CoL2 = b.Col2

FROM #A a

JOIN #B b ON a.Col3 = b.Col3

Select * from #a

drop table #a

drop table #b

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• I just found that the error came from an Update trigger. I didn't realize while executing the script. I have disabled the trigger and executed the scripts without any error.

Thanks

• You're welcome. Good luck 🙂

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply