Error handling

• I have some questions about error handling in a stored procedure. First of all, this stored procedure is dynamic one where based on input parameters conditions I build SQL string (let's call it primary scope), and the secondary scope is when I send it to SQL Server engine for execution. Due to complexity this procedure has multiple statements, but none of them like insert/update/delete.

My questions are:

1. Should I build error handling on primary scope or the secondary scope, or both ?

2. What methodology is better to use: checking each statement for @@error or to apply try/catch for whole thing ?

What other hurdles should I be aware of ?

Thanks.

• I think that error handling to be done on the scope of sp. I cannot understand the Primary scope or Secondary scope in your case.

It would be better to go for try and catch.

Bigin Try

-- Your Statements

End Try

Begin Catch

--Raise error manually to get it handeled on the front end (if required)

End Catch

In case of @@error, it is cleared and reset on each statement executed, check it immediately following the statement validated, or save it to a local variable that can be checked later. This makes it a little un-usable in a complex scope.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes, winning is not an issue but trying.
    You can check my BLOG
    [font="Arial Black"]here[/font][/url][/right]

• SQL Guy (5/11/2009)

1. Should I build error handling on primary scope or the secondary scope, or both ?

[/code]

Safest way is to have error handling on both.

2. What methodology is better to use: checking each statement for @@error or to apply try/catch for whole thing ?

TRY..CATCH, definitely. However, whether you cover the whole batch with one TRY..CATCH or have several is dependent on you code logic and your error reporting needs.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply