Error during SQL 2005 installation

• This is the error i am getting during SQL 2005 installation.

SQL Server Setup could not connect to the database service for server configuration. The error was: Shared Memory Provider: No process is on the other end of the pipe. Refer to server error logs and setup logs for more information.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

• You may have better luck on the SQL 2005 forum. Also did you look at your install logs? What do they have to say?

• During install it is a strange error, do you already have a SQL Instance installed on server? But it sounds like the Shared Memory Protocol is disabled.

Go to ...

- SQL Server Configuration manager

-- SQL Server 2005 Network Configuration

-- Protocols for MSSQLSERVER

-- Right click on Shared Memory and select ENABLE.

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].
    Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
    * I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here[/url].

• I uninstalled SQL 2005, removed all traces of SQL even from the registry then started new installation.

Installation terminated in between. so SQL server config manager is only part installed. I see no items are displyed under SQL Server 2005 network configuration.

• There is your problem then, SQL Protocols never got installed. Only way I know of installing them is installing SQL Server properly. I suppose there is a way to hack it together if you have the dll files and registry setting. But best to do a clean install.

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].

* I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

• I tried a clean install. But the process terminated and i get an error saying No Shared Memory protocol.

SQL gets part installed and terminates.

Is there a way to enable Shared Memory protocol other than going to SQL network configuration (no items are displayed, as the protocols doesnt get installed)?

• You can check out your other SQL installs and try to hack the reg for the Shared memory protocol at ..

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib

But best recommended process is uninstall SQL and reinstall. Since that didn't work I am wondering if uninstall was clean? Did you reboot computer after words?

Check out this for uninstalling SQL 2005 manually, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909967/en-us.

[font="Arial"]---

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply