Error: Deleting Old Backup Files with xp_delete_file

• Hi All, I am trying to delete old backup files using below sql. I have SQL 2005 SP2 (9.00.3042.00).

DECLARE @currentdate datetime

DECLARE @olddate datetime

set @currentdate = getdate()

set @olddate = @currentdate - 4

EXECUTE master.dbo.xp_delete_file 0,N'D:\MSSQL\Backup\Test',N'bak',@olddate,1

I am getting below error and couldn't find what is causing this error.

Msg 0, Level 11, State 0, Line 0

A severe error occurred on the current command. The results, if any, should be discarded.

Msg 0, Level 20, State 0, Line 0

A severe error occurred on the current command. The results, if any, should be discarded.

Can anyone please suggest what's wrong here? Thanks in advance...

• apat (1/25/2012)

Hi All, I am trying to delete old backup files using below sql. I have SQL 2005 SP2 (9.00.3042.00).

DECLARE @currentdate datetime

DECLARE @olddate datetime

set @currentdate = getdate()

set @olddate = @currentdate - 4

EXECUTE master.dbo.xp_delete_file 0,N'D:\MSSQL\Backup\Test',N'bak',@olddate,1

I am getting below error and couldn't find what is causing this error.

Msg 0, Level 11, State 0, Line 0

Msg 0, Level 20, State 0, Line 0

Can anyone please suggest what's wrong here? Thanks in advance...

In sounds like it may be a privs problem. Are you running as "SA" or ???

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Yes I am running it as SA.

• Try running Process Explorer and see what process is holding the lock on those files.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

Blog
    http://saveadba.blogspot.com/

• apat-

xp_delete_file is undocumented (try looking it up in Books Online and you won't find it)

Thus, you should be careful with it's use, or find another mechanism to accomplish your goals.

A bit more on the topic...

I've used it in the past, sometimes it works, sometimes not. Best not to use it if you need reliability...

Todd Carrier
    MCITP - Database Administrator (SQL 2008)
    MCSE: Data Platform (SQL 2012)

• when I use my script, it even disconnects me from the server with the above error. I need to connect to the server again. I don't see why is that happening?

• I tried all these options but doesnt work. I even tried adding Maintenance CleanUP task to delete old backup files.

Source: Maintenance Cleanup Task Execute SQL Task Description: Executing the query "EXECUTE master.dbo.xp_delete_file 0,N'M:\MSSQL\Backups\db1',N'trn',N'2012-01-25T13:00:00' " failed with the following error: "A severe error occurred on the current command. The results, if any, should be discarded. A severe error occurred on the current command. The results, if any, should ... The package execution fa... The step failed.

I guess its some server level setting issue? Any suggestions?

• The version you are on had issues with maintenance plans and there were also issues with xp_delete_file.

You really need to upgrade to SP3 - and if that is not possible, you want to get to 9.00.3054 at a minimum.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• In a twist of fate, I was sure I had used this procedure in a homegrown script. Works well on SQL 2008, 2008 R2, even SQL 2005 (if the latest service pack is applied).

How frustrating... in this case, I'm not so mad that this procedure is undocumented, but rather my company refuses to apply Service Packs. These SQL 2005 instances are at RTM. I pains me to no end as a DBA that the servers are not up to the latest SP. QA and Development apparently don't agree, perhaps they would like to support Microsoft Products.

Anyone have this issue? How to encourage, or even force the application of Service Packs? I am gaining no traction in the matter. Please let me apply the service packs!

Todd Carrier
    MCITP - Database Administrator (SQL 2008)
    MCSE: Data Platform (SQL 2012)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply