Error creating a connection to SQL Server

• Hi all,

We have a reporting application (called Quest Reporter) which connects to SQL Server 2000 SP4. The SQL Server has a couple of logins (Windows-authenticated) granted, and recently some of the logins are having problems accessing SQL Server from the application, while other logins are OK. The error message is:

"An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings of SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server). "

These logins did work well before, not sure what had been done to them making them failure to login. We did not change anything on logins or network connection protocols/port numbers. (We could not ensure that nothing has changed in AD level but we are not sure if that could have caused this error). Logins/permissions are correct, and SQL Server is configured to accept remote connections. Also, we are connecting to SQL Server 2000 and not SQL Server 2005.

We tried to connect to the server (using Terminal Services or Remote Desktop) using this failed Windows-anthenticated login. After logging in, the user is able to open up Enterprise Manager and query tables using Query Analyzer without any problems. I even tried to grant him SA but still he is getting that message from Quest Reporter.

Has anyone seen this before? What can I do to resolve it?

Thanks,

Del Piero

• My troubleshooting steps would be to put profiler trace on server and check if request from application is "really" coming to SQL Server.

• By default remote connections are not enabled in SQL 2005. You need to enable them in Surface Area Configuration Manager to allow tcp and named pipes connections. After doin this if you get error check if named pipes protocol is enabled in the protocol lost as its disabled by default.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply