error 401

• Sorry to bother you all but i am running into this error when i try to run a report from an ASP.NET web Application that i created.... currently the reports and everything run with no problems at all on my test machine to the same reporting service server but when i install the site to the Test Server then run the reports it does not work.. and below is what it returns... i have tried playing with the IIS but i am not sure what i am doing in the IIS (good thing for test servers) and now i am kind of stuck.  I have done some research on the error and tried most of what others say to do and nothing seems to be working...

Thanks for your help ahead of time.

Jason.

The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.

[WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.]

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall) +1303

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters) +218

ReportingService.ReportingService.Render(String Report, String Format, String HistoryID, String DeviceInfo, ParameterValue[] Parameters, DataSourceCredentials[] Credentials, String ShowHideToggle, String& Encoding, String& MimeType, ParameterValue[]& ParametersUsed, Warning[]& Warnings, String[]& StreamIds) in C:\USSMakeReady\Web References\ReportingService\Reference.vb:549

Application.UI.Reports.RenderPDFReport(String baseReportName, String reportPath, String webReportCache) in C:\Application\Reports\Reports.aspx.vb:429

Application.UI.Reports.btnAttacheeWithWork_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Application\Reports\Reports.aspx.vb:490

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +108

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +57

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +33

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +1292

• i did find one fix that does work but i am not sure the security risk it presents... so i am not sure if i am going to go with this fix...

http://flarepath.blogspot.com/ under 2003 Service Pack 1 and SQL Server Reporting Services.  but it consist of putting in a registry dword that disables lookback check... so if someone else can find a better method please help.

thanks.

• i think the error is due to not supplying credentials..when you work in your test machine, does your machine account is associated with SQL Server RS?. if so, putting on test will fail. one thing that will work is, supplying the network credentials in asp.net codebehind usually is System.Net.NetworkCredentials("username","password","domain").

not sure if this is what you are looking for..hth.

• i was thinking the credentials were not being supplied also.. but wasn't sure how to supply them since my company wants to use Windows Authenication for everything.... and my site uses it... but for some reason it wasn't being passed to RS when i would run a report render.

• While doing installs of Reporting Services recently, I came upon an issue that caused errors similar to the one you describe.  Try the following:

Check properties of Reports virtual directory.

-Right-click My Computer and choose Manage.

-Drill to Internet Information Services, Websites, Default Website.

-Right-click Reports and choose properties.

-Click the ASP.NET tab and note the value in the ASP.NET version.  If it is blank,  select 2.0.50727 from the list and click OK.

-Repeat the above for ReportServer

-Restart IIS by right-clicking Internet Information Services and choosing All Tasks, Restart IIS...

If you suspect an authentication issue,  try putting the ASPNET user in the Administrators group on the server.  I've used that workaround on my developer environment.  I wouldn't recommend this for a production solution,  but it should be a useful diagnostic tool.

-Mike

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply