Error 22272: cannot load teh DLL xpstart.dll

• Today I could not get connection to the SQL Agent and JOBs in particulary. Instead, I received the error message: "Error 22272: Cannot load the DLL xpstar.dll, or one of the DLLs it references. Reason: 126 (The specified module could not be found).

We have just moved to new server and installed SQL Server 2000 with SP 3. I have used SQL scripts to move JOBS and restore them in the Query Analyser. The worked fine last Friday! I have checked for the existence of the DLL xpstar.dll and it is still there. Also, I tried to restore the jobs using the SQL scripts in QA, but got about the same error message as above. Has anybody an idea about what is going on here?

Thanks for reading, Leendert-Jan

• I would confirm that the dll is registered...the easiest way would be to reregister it using REGSVR32.

To do this, open a dos window and go to the directory containing the file and then enter REGSVR32 xpstar.dll

Or get the path to the dll and open up the RUN box and enter REGSVR32 "<path>\xpstar.dll"

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

• Hi all

I am having similar problems with my SQL server. I cannot do anything on it. When I try to import or export data from one server to another remote server or from the remote server to my server it gives me the same error. I am running SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2000 Server and when i run "Select @@version in QA then i get "Microsoft SQL Server  2000 - 8.00.818 (Intel X86)   May 31 2003 16:08:15   Copyright (c) 1988-2003 Microsoft Corporation  Developer Edition on Windows NT 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 4)" . I have checked, the xpstar.dll is present in the required location

Can someone tell me what are the other DLL files that xpstar references to..?

Thanks in advance

Devesh

• I have same problem, but I don't find the file xpstar.dll on the server. How can I recover this file?

• You could copy it from another install of SQL.

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

• I've got the same problem at a customers' site. He's got Windows 2000 server SP4 with SQL 2000 Server standard edition with SP3. Also running Veritas which has its own MSDE instance.

I tried to check the properties of the server in SQL Enterprise Manager and got this message, also when creating a job or running it (using richtclick-start). The DLL does exist in the directory MSSQL\Binn and is of version 2000.80.760. Tried removing SQL and reinstalling: same problem.

When I create a maintenance plan for backing up a database and I want to specify the number of days a back-up file needs to be removed I cannot select day/months from the drop-down box (I used to get that when MSDE is installed on the server). This case I do have the SQL 2000 server instance (default): I just reinstalled!

Please Advice,

Broos

• I had the same problem on one of my servers..

The xpstar.dll was not in the binn directory.

I copied from another installation and all is good... BTW. the dll cannot be registered, it just needs to be there. I have seen things like this coming from an overly zealous A/V program...

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply