Enterprise or Standard??

• I'm now in the process of comparing the Standard and Enterprise versions of 2005.  I've managed to do most of the research myself... but I've yet to find anything on infinite clickthroughs... what does this do? What benefits are there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Standard is suitable for most folks. But there are a few differences around max capacity for memory/processors, # of nodes for clustering, options available for database mirroring, and other high availability options and features. You can find a side by side comparison here of the feature set:

SQL Server 2005 Features Comparison

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Infinite click throughs are a feature in Reporting Services Report Builder, which allow a user to click on fields in a report, and drill down to details. E.g. if you have a report with an order number in it, and click on the order number, you will go to a view showing details for the order, hope this makes sense....

Per MS:

In Report Builder, a clickthrough report is a report that provides detailed information about the data contained within the main report. A clickthrough report is displayed when the Report Builder user clicks the interactive data that appears in the main report. These reports are automatically generated by the report server. You, as the model designer, determine what is displayed in clickthrough reports by setting the DefaultDetailAttribute and DefaultAggregateAttribute properties that you assign to an entity in the report model.

I kind of wish we had this, but the price tag for Enterprise was too high

• There are a number of subtle differences between the editions - the one that usually most interests me is the options that multi-thread , e.g. index rebuilds, dbcc , on-line index. etc. Depends on what your database does - performance oltp that approach 24x7 really need enterprise.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply