enterprise manager loses registrations

• enterprise manager loses server registrations every time I change my account password. We are of course using windows authentication. How come I always have to re-register servers every time my password changes?

Thanks

• I do not know about Enterprise Manager, but if the you change the password in the administrative tools or manage, password information on shares and some other stuff is lost to protect against evil administrators. Maybe it has the same effect on registrations in enterprise manager.

(I am not going to test it ;-))

Changing the password through ctrl-alt-delete works fine for me.

Joachim.

• Yes I have found this problem as well!

I have XP Pro running on my pc with sql 2k sp3a etc. I change my passwords via Ctrl & Alt & Del. I have lost all my registrations serveral times when changing my password. I use a mixture of trusted and sql logins to the different servers I manage from my pc.

This is obviously a pain, is there a way of backing up registrations to allow for a quick restore? Does anyone know if Microsoft acknowledge it as a issue?

• How to backup registrations

browse to this reg key

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\SQLEW\Registered Servers X]

Export this regkey and you can get your registered servers back without the work.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply