Enterprise Edition Required To Recover To Point Of Failure?

• Came across this in BOL. Doesn't look correct.

"In the Enterprise Edition of SQL Server, the full recovery model allows a database to be recovered to the point of failure, assuming that the tail of the log has been backed up after the failure. For more information, see Overview of Full Recovery."

Enterprise Edition isn't needed for this is it?

• Nope you do not need to be on Enterprise Edition to recover to point of failure

Enterprise

Standard

Development

Workgroup (I think)

all have point of failure

• No. You have the ability to do a point in time restore with all versions of SQL server (not sure about compact edition), but the database must be set to full backup and you must reguraly perform full and tran log backups.

While restoring a tran log you can supply the stopat clause to restore up to a certain point.

• Adam Haines (11/27/2007)

No. You have the ability to do a point in time restore with all versions of SQL server, but the database must be set to full backup and you must reguraly perform full and tran log backups.

While restoring a tran log you can supply the stopat clause to restore up to a certain point.

I agree but here is another BOL entry that doesn't make sense:

By logging all operations, including bulk operations such as SELECT INTO, CREATE INDEX, and bulk loading data, the full recovery model allows you to recover a database to the point of failure or to an earlier point in time (called "point-in-time restore"), if you are using the Enterprise edition of SQL Server.

• I think that's an issue with BOL. I'd report that using the BOL entry on the web.

• Enterprise edition allows you to do this operation *online*; standard doesn't. Does that help (maybe there's some part not being included in the quote?)

Take a look here - see if this meshes with what you're reading:

http://searchsqlserver.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid87_gci1195375,00.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply