Enter in EM

• Hi everyone,

Happy New Year...2009

I m working on sql server 2005.

Please understand how it happend.This is simple but long.

1st phase:

I have only sql server 2005 and two named instances "Ajay" and "Aj".

2nd Phase:

I have installed dotnet on this server,and I have installed a default Sql server 2005 with only Reporting services(because my developer wants reporting services) and uninstall the "Aj" instance. due to which my EM also deleted.

3rd Phase:

Therefore I have installed only workstation component on the system,and I have got the EM.

But now I m only able to go inside the EM by named instance "Ajay" not by default sql server,How can I move into the EM for default sql server or it is not possible.

Please see the attachment.

Thanks

Thanks

• If I got your scenario right you do not have a default instance, you have just one named instance. That's why.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • I have a default instance

Thanks

• If that's the case I assume you installed your default instance AFTER installing named instances. There are a couple of well known issues when that happens.

Please check your registry for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server entries.

If you can see a MSSQLSERVER entry that means you do have a default instance.

If your MSSQLSERVER is not the first one on the list that means your default instance was not installed as the first one on the server.

I remember people manually altering registry to get default instance properly listed as the first one. Since touching registry is always dangerous please take into consideration that this is not my recommendation, you should do your own research and make an educated decision.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Dear Paul

Please see the registry values:

Default (Value Not Set)

Installed Instances ( Ajay SQLEXPRESS MSSQLSERVER)

Is Listener Active Yes

Thx

Thanks

• Looking at the provided information it looks like we are back to my initial answer, there is just one named instance in your system -no default instance shows up.

• OK..

Thanks

• It seems that you didn't install the Database Engine for Default instance; but you installed a default instance Reporting service.

Go to your SQL Server Configuration Manager, and click the SQL server Services, see what are running: especially check to see those with (MSSQLSERVER).

From what you provided, it seems that you should have SQL Server Reporting Services (MSSQLSERVER);You can connect to your Reporting Services with Management Studio by clicking 'Connect'-->>Reporting Services-->>Type in the servername-->>connect.

If you see SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER); that means you have a default instance data engine service installed, and you should be able to connect with Management Studio by clicking 'Connect'-->>Database Engine-->>Type in the servername-->>connect

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply