Enable a job

• When right clicking a job and selecting Properties,

Job General Properties page has an enable checkbox.

Job Schedule Properties page also has an enable checkbox.

1. What is the difference between the two?

2. If the Job General Properties is enabled but the Schedule is not, would the job run

anyway?

This is leading to an issue but I want to start with this. Any comments are appreciated - thanks.

• Job properties-

If enabled it can be run by a schedule. If disabled the schedule will not run the job.

Schedule properties-

If enabled the schedule will fire jobs that reference that schedule. If disabled the schedule will not fire those jobs.

Jobs can be run manually by right-click > start job at step. This can be done at any time regardless of the checkbox enable/disable. Kinda silly, but that's what I could find out.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• here is a ms connect item with similar issues as yours. This SSC thread is what lead me to it.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• Thank you for responding. It's exactly as expected. Now if I don't have a resolution to my other issue which is a bit more involved, I'll probably post again. But thank you...

• Don't forget that a schedule can be created outside of SSMS to kick off a job. So disabling the schedule can give control to something else. Now take the case where you develop a windows service to run the job instead of using the SQL Job Schedule. Maybe in that service, you check to see if the job is enabled or not before running it. That's a good example that I can think of for this.

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• Schedules can be shared by multiple jobs, so you generally wouldn't want to disable the schedule when all you want to disable is the job.

Be sure to check both the job and the schedule whenever you re-enable a job, to ensure that both of them are enabled.

HTH,

Rich

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply