Elections

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Elections

• "As more and more electronic machines are being used to record votes, and often being built with very little security, how can we be sure that the data is being collected, tabulated, and securely stored for our elections?"

It is because someone wanted those machines to be hackable. Diebold makes ATMs that have not lost a penny in decades, and I am supposed to believe that they cannot make a reliable and secure voting machine?

• Revenant (12/7/2010)

"As more and more electronic machines are being used to record votes, and often being built with very little security, how can we be sure that the data is being collected, tabulated, and securely stored for our elections?"

It is because someone wanted those machines to be hackable. Diebold makes ATMs that have not lost a penny in decades, and I am supposed to believe that they cannot make a reliable and secure voting machine?

That makes it sound like there was deliberate intent. I'm pretty sure that the banks were pretty explicit in their requirements and in their demands for proof of correctness. I'm also pretty sure that whoever ordered the voting machines put about as much thought into requirements as to what colour socks to wear.

• Well, that may be the case. As they say, do not attribut to malvolent intent what can be explained by stupidity.

I understand that the voting machines could be simply booted from an accessible (!) USB port and did not have an uninterruptible power supply. So anyone who had access to the room could unplug the machine, insert a jup drive and turn the machine on. A modified OS and app would collect and report however skewed results and reboot say an hour after the polling station closed.

I think that Diebold knows better than to make a machine with accessible USB port you can boot from, and if that was in the requirements, I would like to see the guy who signed them behind bars.

• Point taken 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply